The Frost Giant Awakens

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rayne and Anna walked into the shop to see Melanie standing by reception. She gave Rayne a surprised look before smiling and coming to her for a hug.

"Well, I certainly didn't expect to see you this soon! Agnes said you and Tom were on an extended vacation."

Rayne gave her a small grin. "Well, we decided to cut it short. I need to discuss some things with Agnes. Is she in?"

Melanie nodded, pointing down the hall. "Yep, in her office, and she happens to be free right now."

Rayne nodded. "Thanks." She and Anna turned to head in that direction before she stopped and turned back, rummaging around in her bag until she found her ruined phone. "Mel, do you think you could send this out to be replaced? It kind of got destroyed."

Melanie winced as she gingerly took the device. "I can see that. This kinda explains why Tom has called here several times looking for you. I should have a new one for you shortly." She nodded, smiling at the two women. "Don't worry... I'll take care of it for you, personally." She gave a rueful chuckle.

Rayne gave her a grateful smile. "Thanks, you are amazing!"

She turned to go in the direction of the offices, Anna a welcome presence at her side as she knocked on Agnes's door and waited for her to ask them in. When Rayne opened the door, she couldn't miss the look of surprise on Agnes's face before she covered it with a small grin.

"Well, look who the cat dragged in! Come in ladies." As the two women sat in the chairs opposite the antique desk, Agnes got a good look at Rayne's face. "What the hell happened to your face?! I hope the other person looks worse, and it better not be Tom, or I swear to God... "

Rayne cut her off before she could finish that thought. "No, it's nothing like that all! I had a run-in with an over-exuberant paparazzi." She waved a hand in a dismissive manner. "More like an entire pack of feral, camera-wielding assholes..." Anna mumbled, barely under her breath. Rayne turned to Anna and shook her head, then cleared her throat. "Anyway - It's a long story, and really not the reason I'm here." She looked at Anna, who gave her a reassuring smile and nod. "I... I need to know. Did you know that I was your child?"

Agnes sighed as she shook her head. "I told you, I didn't. I found out two days before you did... I was trying to figure out a way to tell you, but Gavin beat me to it." She sighed again as she leaned her elbows on the desk. "What a mess this has become, and probably the most cosmic coincidence that I've ever heard of."

Against her will, Rayne cracked a smile and shook her head. "You can say that again." She blew out a breath before continuing. "I just can't believe this, I mean... " she stopped for a moment. "How? I mean, why... ?" She audibly swallowed, blinking back tears as Anna grabbed her hand and gave it a squeeze. "Was Charlie my father?"