The Pilgrims Did It And They Were Brits

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Four Months Later

Tom shook his head and grinned to himself as Rayne sighed again for the tenth time in the last five minutes. He had started trying to figure out what might be the matter with his love but he couldn't come up with anything concrete. He watched her move the eggs around on her plate for a few more minutes before clearing his throat and laying his phone to the side.

"Alright darling, what's the matter?"

Rayne shrugged as she took a sip of orange juice. "Nothing, babe. I'm fine."

Tom gave her a look as he reached out a hand to squeeze hers. "I'm sorry Ray, but that's bollocks. I know something's bothering you, I just can't figure out what it may be." He looked her over with concern lacing his expression. "Are you not feeling well? The baby giving you some trouble?"

Rayne gave him a small smile with a shake of her head. "No, no, junior is just fine in the oven."

Tom sighed before leaning forward, resting his elbows resting on the table as he spoke. "What's wrong, then? We've got the nursery all done - so I know it's not that. Everything is going quite well at the shop, and you're now on maternity leave as it were. Our wedding plans are coming along nicely. Is it me? Have I done something to upset you, Rayne darling?"

Rayne shook her head once again and began looking down at her half-eaten breakfast with a small frown. "No, it's nothing like that. I guess... I'm just feeling a bit homesick I suppose. The holidays are coming and I'm missing home a lot right now."

Tom nodded as he motioned for her to come sit in his lap. Once she was comfortable, he stroked her hair for a moment before speaking. "You know we both agreed that you wouldn't fly until after the baby came, Ray; and your parents are coming for Christmas so, you'll get to see them soon enough."

Rayne nodded. "I know, Tom, and I completely agree about the flying thing. It's just... I'm really going to miss Thanksgiving." She grinned and shook her head. "I know it's silly, but... "

Tom shook his head as he absently rubbed her bump. "No, darling, it's not silly at all. It's one of your traditions, after all." He fell silent for a moment as he started thinking, then scratched his chin before he continued. "Why don't we do this? We'll call Agnes and Sam to ask if they can come early to lengthen their stay here, and have Thanksgiving with us? Then you can have even more time to catch up and I know Agnes would be absolutely thrilled with the chance to spoil you for a little longer."

Rayne grinned at Tom. "You do realize that the British don't celebrate Thanksgiving. That it's a purely American holiday."

Tom grinned and leaned in to kiss Rayne on the nose. "Yes, I know, darling, but the pilgrims were British, were they not? If they can celebrate, so can we." He patted her on the hip. "You go call Agnes and I'll call Ben to see if he and Anna are available. We'll invite mum as well if you'd like and make it a real party."

Rayne leaned in and gave him a kiss before smiling at him. "You're the best Hiddles, ya know that?"

Tom chuckled as he held her tighter. "Yes, yes I know."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Agnes grinned as the Skype call finally connected and she saw Diana on her screen.

"Hey, Diana! Long time no see! How ya doing?"

Diana chuckled and nodded. "I'm well, thank you. And you?"

"I'm good. Can't wait to come over and see everyone. Is Rayne driving Tom crazy yet?"

Diana shook her head, laughing harder. "Oh no, but I'm sure he's driving her to distraction. It can't be easy dealing with my son while being heavily pregnant. I'm terribly excited about Thanksgiving! I've never celebrated before."

Agnes laughed. "Well, I suppose you haven't. It's really just eating all day and watching a parade and football. The food is what I was calling about. I think that we should put our heads together to come up with the menu and all."

Diana beamed that Hiddleston smile and nodded her head quickly. "Yes, I totally agree! That's a splendid idea. After all, Rayne doesn't need the added stress of preparations."

Agnes nodded in agreement. "That's what I was thinking. Let's make sure the girl enjoys herself by putting her feet up for once and relaxing for the day."

Diana nodded thoughtfully. "Since you're more of an expert on the holiday than I am, why don't you email me the menu and recipes and I'll do the shopping before you arrive?"

Agnes nodded. "That sounds like a plan! I am so glad you're on board for this, Diana. Our girl won't have to lift a finger."

"Of course, darling. She's going to be so happy that we're taking this on for her. Alright. Well, we'll talk soon yes? Remember, send me everything as soon as you have it sorted."

Agnes nodded and winked in agreement. "Sounds good. Talk soon, Diana!"

She disconnected the call and sat back in her office chair, grinning from ear to ear. Then, Agnes picked up her phone and dialed Rayne, knowing that her daughter was going to be thrilled to hear that she and Diana were going to take care of everything.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rayne hung up from her phone call with Agnes, counting to ten before she lost her temper. Anna gave her a strange look as she looked toward the living room.

"Thomas William Hiddleston! You come here this second!"

She heard Anna snort in amusement as they heard two sets of footsteps rushing toward the kitchen. Tom stopped short when he entered the kitchen to find Rayne glaring at him with her hands on her hips. He let out a sigh just as Ben stopped short behind him, nearly plowing right into his back.

"What's wrong darling?"

Rayne gave him the stink eye as Ben walked around them both to sit beside Anna at the kitchen table.

"Were you aware that our mothers were taking over the Thanksgiving preparations?"

Tom's posture sagged in relief, happy that for the moment she wasn't vexed with him. "Is that all? No, Ray, I wasn't aware, but it doesn't surprise me. They would want to make things easier for you and Anna, considering both of you are in the family way." Tom scratched behind his ear and pulled down his glasses. "Erm, so to speak."

Rayne let out a huff before flopping into a chair at the end of the table. "Tom, that's not the point. I wanted to host and handle the food."

Tom pulled up a chair beside Rayne and looked at her with utter bemusement. "Well, darling, we are hosting dinner here, but if you had any thought at all that they would allow you to cook was really very unrealistic on your part. You are almost eight months pregnant, Rayne. You can't stand on your feet that long, darling."

Rayne sighed as she looked around at the amused faces of her friends and her fiance. "I'm not going to win this fight, am I?"

Tom snorted as he shook his head. "Not bloody likely, luv."