Cocktail Dresses And Downtime

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rayne and Abby walked quickly through LAX, fielding a barrage of shouted questions from paps about Tom, the baby, and the ring that one swiftly spotted on Rayne's left ring finger. As they made their way to the front entrance and the safety of the car beyond, the usual bank of photographers were keeping a respectful distance for once - possibly because of Rayne's condition.

She took a breath and checked her phone before glancing at Abby. "Ok, Agnes said we could stay in my old apartment, so I thought we'd drop our things at my place. Then, I'll drive us over to the shop."

Abby nodded her head as she checked her tablet. "Sounds good, but I can drive if you'd like, Rayne. Give you a rest."

Rayne chuckled dryly. "I feel like that's all I've been doing lately. Besides, I haven't driven since I moved to London. I kind of miss it."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once they were dropped off at Rayne's old apartment, the ladies unpacked rather quickly, then Rayne returned texts from Tom, and headed off for a quick shower, while Abby scrolled through several new emails. When she came out of the bathroom, she found Abby sitting at the kitchen island, staring at her phone with an awestruck look on her face. Rayne opened the refrigerator to see what was available and chuckled quietly. She saw an assortment of drinks and snacks that would get them through the next few days, including many of her favorites. Thank god for Agnes.

"What are you looking so shocked for?"

Abby shook her head as if clearing the space. "Robert Downey Jr. just called for you."

Rayne smiled at the mention of her friend. "I haven't seen him in ages! What did he want?"

"He wanted to know if you happened to be in town, and when I said that yes you were, he wanted you to call him ASAP."

Rayne nodded as she picked up her phone. "Well, why don't you go shower while I do that?"

Abby nodded her thanks and left the kitchen for the guest bedroom while Rayne waited for her call to go through. She chuckled when she heard that familiar voice come on the line.

"This has to be my favorite wardrobe mistress calling me back. Hiya Rayne! How are ya, doll face?"

"I'm good, Robert. How are you? How's Susan?"

"Both quite excellent, thanks for asking. Tom wouldn't happen to be with you, would he?"

"No, I'm here on business. Why? What's up?"

Rayne grinned when she heard him sigh on the other end of the line. "Well, we're having a little get together this weekend for the 4th at our place in Malibu. Why don't you see if you can find Mrs. Cumbers. We'd love to see you two? I thought maybe the two expats would like a little American nostalgia. Hotdogs, burgers...  ya know all that trad corny stuff. Whaddaya say?"