A Different Reality

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When Rayne finished with her shower, she walked out to the living room to find Diana on the couch and Anna looking out the window by the front door. When she heard Rayne, she turned and smiled.

"No offense meant because this is a beautiful place, but what on earth made you pick Palm Island to retreat to?"

Rayne shrugged as she sat down on the opposite end of the couch from Diana. "My parents brought me here for vacation the year before they died. I've loved it ever since. It was my hiding spot, nobody knew about it." She grinned and shook her head. "Well, they do now I suppose."

Diana chuckled. "Well, darling, I have to say - I know my son. You wouldn't be able to hide from him for very long, anyway."

There was a knock on the door, and Anna opened it to find a young man with a rolling food cart. She moved back so he could enter, giving the women a smile as he placed the cart near the sofa. "Enjoy your dinner, ladies. If you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask."

Rayne just gave him a small smile as Diana flashed that Hiddleston charm, making the young man blush as he left. Anna walked over to sit down in the overstuffed armchair opposite the couch as Diana went to make a plate. She walked back over to hand Rayne a filled plate and the younger woman sighed and crinkled her nose as she took it.

"Isn't there some soup or broth, or something?"

Diana gave her 'the mom' look and shook her head. "No, there's shrimp salad. You can't survive on broth, darling." She gave Rayne a once-over before speaking again. "You were sick at Easter, weren't you? Have you seen a doctor?"

Rayne shook her head, picking at her salad with her fork. "No, I'm sure it's just stress. If my life ever evens out, I'm sure I'll be fine."

Diana glanced at Anna before nodding to herself. "Well, I'm sure you're right, darling."

They all ate in silence for a few minutes before Anna cleared her throat. "Speaking of life evening out... how are you taking all of these changes?"

Rayne sighed as she sat her plate with her half-eaten dinner on the table in front of her. "As well as can be expected I suppose. I mean, everything has changed, and not for the better. My whole life has been a lie."

Anna shook her head. "No, sweetie. That's not true. Yes, you were adopted and your parents chose to not tell you. I mean, you might have never known if it wasn't for that safe deposit box in Alabama. But that doesn't mean they loved you any less. Honestly, they probably loved you more than the average child."

Rayne gave her a small grin. "Yeah, that's almost exactly what Tom said. He said I was special to my parents because they got to pick me."

Diana chuckled as she patted Rayne on the knee. "My son is right, Rayne. I can't imagine loving my children any more than I already do, but to think that your parents, along with so many other adoptive parents, got to choose you. They got exactly who they wanted. You must have been very special for them to look at you and decide, 'yes, that's her'."