Hiding Out

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tom answered Agnes's call with a slight frown on his face. He'd been expecting Rayne to call, but perhaps she was busy with work.

"Agnes! How are you darling?"

He was instantly worried by the agitated sound of Agnes's voice. "I don't have time for chit-chat, Tom! Have you heard from Rayne?"

"No, Agnes, I haven't, although I've been expecting her call. Is something wrong?"

He heard a quiet sob come from the other end of the call and instantly feared what she was about to say, although he was in no way expecting what was to come. "She knows. I was trying to figure out a way to tell her, but Gavin beat me to it."

Tom knew he sounded as confused as he felt. "What exactly does she know? You aren't making sense."

Agnes sighed before answering. "I'm her mother, Tom. She found out. She left... I thought maybe she would go to you, but... god, I don't know where she is now. She won't answer my calls."

It took Tom a few minutes to process what she'd said. He rubbed his neck as he shook his head. "Oh my god! Poor Rayne." He blew out a breath. "Ok, let me try to reach her. I'll let you know if I hear anything."

After a quick goodbye, Tom ended the call and immediately tried to reach Rayne to no avail. With a frustrated sigh, he kept trying to reach his girl, worried more by the minute.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rayne looked at her phone laying on the table beside her chair and wondered when it would stop ringing. It had been making noise for three days now. She didn't check her email. She didn't check her voicemails, knowing that it was full by now. She didn't look at her texts either. She knew she should call Tom, or at least return his texts. She'd never gone for this long and not talked to him since they had been back together. She knew he probably already knew by now that she was MIA and would be extremely worried about her but she just didn't know what to say.

How did she explain? How did she find the words to say that everything she believed as real and right was all wrong? She sighed and ran a hand through her hair as her phone started ringing again. She did look this time, seeing that it was Tom. With another sigh, she picked up her phone and pressed the button.

"Hi."

"Rayne! Thank god, darling. I can't tell you what was going through my mind! Agnes has called me constantly for three days. Where are you, Ray? Are you ok?"

"I'm fine, really. I just needed a few days away from everyone."

There was a long silence before Tom answered in a more subdued voice. "Even me?"