Because You Loved Me

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 2019

Rayne took a deep breath as she looked out the window of Diana's guest room and watched the last-minute preparations going on below in the backyard. She was trying hard to keep her composure but was also quite sure that she was going to be sick at any moment. She didn't understand why she was so nervous. She and Tom were an established couple with a baby, this was just sealing the deal.

She snickered when she thought of how nervous Tom had looked this morning before Ben had picked him up, teasing him that he needed to take him out for breakfast to celebrate Tom's last day as a free man. She'd laughed at the time, but now that she was staring down at the very spot that she would become Mrs. Hiddleston, she no longer found it funny.

She was ready to become his wife, she had no doubt about that, but she couldn't help but be nervous. She heard the door open and turned to see Anna and Agnes walking in. Agnes had Rayne's bouquet in her hands and stopped in the middle of the room to just stare at her daughter. Finally, she put a hand on her heart and sighed. 

"Oh my, you are going to knock Tom's socks off. You look amazing, baby."

Anna nodded in agreement as she wiped her eyes and smiled at Rayne. "Girlfriend, she's right."

Rayne looked down at herself, once again thinking that the flowing white dress was perfect for a backyard wedding. She wore her hair down and curly with a crown of spring flowers. Her feet were bare and she felt a little like a cross between a hippie and a fairy, but she loved it. She hadn't wanted fancy and this was definitely not that. Rayne sighed then smiled at her best friend and her mother. "We ready to do this?"

Agnes sniffed a little but nodded. "Sam's waiting outside."

Rayne nodded before hugging Agnes and then Anna. She took another deep breath and opened the door to see her father standing on the other side smiling down at her. She took his arm as he leaned down to kiss her on the cheek. "You look beautiful, sweetheart."

She smiled up at him. "Thank you. Let's hope Tom agrees."

Sam chuckled as they started walking toward the kitchen and the back door leading out to the backyard. "If he doesn't, he's crazy and doesn't deserve you."

Rayne grinned and winked at him. "Well, he's neither of those things, so I think we're good." 

As they stood waiting for the music to start, Rayne reflected back on the time she'd been with Tom. They'd had their flare-ups like any other couple, but they had weathered through and survived, and Rayne had no doubt in her mind that he was the other half of her.

The music started and Tom's niece began the procession as the flower girl, with her brother bringing up the rear as the ring bearer. As Rayne and Sam paused in the doorway, Abby handed little Avery to his mother so that she could carry him down the aisle with her. Once he was settled on her hip, she took a moment to survey the scene in front of her. Robert had escorted Agnes down the aisle, followed by Ben and Anna. 

When she looked up, her eyes caught with Tom's and she swallowed hard at the look on his face. Rayne didn't think he'd ever looked at her with such love and adoration before that moment, and it took her breath away. She smiled at him as she watched Tom discreetly wipe away a tear before smiling back at her. 

When she and Sam reached Tom, she handed the baby to his grandfather and clasped hands with Tom. They smiled at each other and Rayne felt him squeeze her hands before they both turned to face the minister.

"Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today, in the sight of God... "

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Darling, I don't think I've ever seen you look more radiant than you do tonight. You are absolutely stunning and I'm the luckiest man here."

Rayne smiled as Tom bent down to kiss her as they danced their first dance as husband and wife. She chuckled as she looked around at all of their friends and family, at least those that could fit in the reception hall. "I can't believe we actually managed to get married."

Tom laughed and nodded. "I know, darling. With our different schedules, holidays, Avery's birth... it's been a challenge, to say the least, but we did it, and I've never been happier." He reached up to adjust her flower crown and sighed as he looked into her eyes. "I love you, Rayne Hiddleston."

Rayne straightened his tie and patted his chest. "And I love you, Thomas Hiddleston." She leaned up for another kiss before she cleared her throat. "There's a reason I'm so radiant, as you put it."

Tom stared down at her for a moment in confusion before it dawned on him. She watched first shock, then happiness come across his face. The smile she received was probably the brightest he'd ever given her. "Are you... really Rayne?" When she nodded, he laughed and picked her up to swing her around before setting her back on her feet gently. "I take it back. Now is the happiest I've ever been."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the end of Tom and Rayne's story. I'm sorry that it's taken me as long as it has to finish it, but for a long time, I just couldn't reach the characters in this one. Finally, though, we are at the end. Thank you for taking the time to read this story. I hope you enjoyed Tom and Rayne as much as I did writing them.

Missy