Blast From The Past

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rayne was checking to make sure she had everything when she heard the doorbell ring. Thinking that it was the driver, she opened the door to find Agnes on the other side with an overnight bag. Rayne just stared at the old woman as she sailed past her and into her entry hall.

"What are you doing?"

Agnes arched a brow and put a hand on her hip. "If you think I'm missing the look on your face when you see him again, you're batshit crazy."

Rayne growled under her breath as she shook her head. "I'm going to be there for one day. Long enough for the meeting, and catching a plane back home. There is absolutely no reason for you to go with me."

Agnes shrugged and parked her bag beside Rayne's on the floor. "I don't care. I'm bored and I want some entertainment. This should do me for a while."

The doorbell rang and Rayne went to answer it, finding the driver this time. He took their bags as Rayne checked to make sure she had everything. "You're incorrigible."

Agnes shrugged as she preceded Rayne out the door and waited for her to lock up. "You say potato, I say, hot British dude... anyway, what's your game plan?"

Rayne couldn't help but chuckle as they get off the elevator and walked through the lobby out to the car. "My game plan is quite simple. I'm going to get on a plane at LAX, land at LaGuardia, go to the meeting, get back on a plane at LaGuardia, land at LAX,  and come home."

Agnes snorted as the car pulled away from the curb in front of Rayne's building. "You, young lady, are zero fun. What if the English stud muffin asks you out? We could extend our stay, see some sights. That way, if he wants to invite you, say, out to dinner or to a movie, you'd be free."

Rayne shook her head and wondered to herself, not for the first time, how this woman was the same one that taught her everything she knew about costumes. "He's not going to ask me out. He broke up with me, remember? Besides, this is a business meeting. You remember what those are, right? I don't have time to extend my stay so you can sight-see and he's hardly going to jump across the conference table and declare his undying love to me. How old are you, twelve?"

Agnes smacked Rayne on the arm and chortled. "I'm seventy-two, thank you, and wouldn't it be a hoot if he did just that? That would certainly get your attention." She patted her blue-rinsed hair and sighed. "I tell you, if I were younger... well, you just never mind what I'd do if I were younger. Honey, you need to learn to live your life and not let it live you. There's more going on out there than meetings and movie sets. The parade's passing you by and you don't even realize it. When's the last time you went out with a man?"

Rayne turned to Agnes with a raised eyebrow. "You know, ever since you had that stroke a year ago, you just have no filter, and the last time I went out with a man was two years ago, and look where that got me."

Agnes snorted as she watched the passing scenery through the car window. "Filters are for sissies."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ms. Ellison, they're waiting for us in the conference room."

Rayne gave Melanie a reassuring smile as the three women walked down the hallway to the meeting. She turned to her other side to give Agnes a measured look.

"You behave yourself in here, do you hear me? Don't embarrass me in front of everyone."

Agnes snickered before nodding her head. "I hear you, honey, but usually you embarrass yourself. I just egg you on. That's my job."

Rayne was muttering under her breath as Melanie opened the office door and they marched into the room. Her eyes inevitably zeroed in on Tom before anyone else, a fact that she found equal parts annoying and disconcerting. He was on his feet with the other two men as the women approached the table. Rayne tried not to stare but found it hard. He looked so damn good and it had been a long time since she was in the same room with him. 

She watched as his eyes lit on her briefly, bringing with them a tentative smile before moving to Agnes and lighting up with genuine fondness. "Agnes! Oh my, I didn't think I would get to see you again! How are you, darling?"

Agnes giggled like a schoolgirl as everyone was introduced, moving to sit beside Tom as everyone got settled. "I'm wonderful Tom, how are you? My, aren't you still the handsome devil?"

Rayne cleared her throat and smiled politely at the Russos. "If we could get started?"

They both nodded and soon, Rayne was in the midst of arguing over costume designs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rayne almost made it to the car before she heard Tom calling her name. She winced as Agnes let out a knowing snicker, making Rayne shoot her a dirty look as she turned to the Brit jogging in her direction.

"Rayne! Darling, I thought perhaps we could have dinner, catch up. It's been a long time and I think we have things to discuss."

Rayne lifted an eyebrow as Agnes growled softly at her in warning to behave herself. "Really? I don't think we have anything to discuss. I really need to get going if I'm going to catch my plane. I'm sure we'll have plenty of time to catch up once fittings and filming start." She held a hand out to a frustrated-looking Tom. "It's been wonderful seeing you again, Mr. Hiddleston."

Agnes stuck her head in between the two, ignoring the way Rayne was glaring at her. "I want to see a show, but she won't take me. I ask you, is that any way to treat the woman who mentored her all those years?"

Rayne watched as Tom tried hard to not laugh at the older woman, instead keeping a straight face as he nodded in complete understanding. "Oh my, that is horrid! I would love to take you to a show. What would you like to see? Perhaps Rayne would join us."

Agnes's face lit up like a toddler at Christmas. "I want to see Kinky Boots!" She turned to Rayne with a gleam in her eye. "Doesn't Kinky Boots sound like a great time?"

Rayne rolled her eyes as Tom jumped on the suggestion. "I'll have Luke get all of our tickets."

He pulled his phone out as Rayne cut in, finally having enough. "I'm sorry, but I can't make it. You're certainly free to take Agnes though. Do try to have her on a plane in the next day or two, won't you? I'll warn you, she snores and she's lactose intolerant, but that shouldn't be a problem. Have fun!"

Before either Tom or Agnes could say a word, Rayne jumped into the waiting car and told the driver to step on it. She smirked as she looked out the back window at a pissed off Agnes and a confused Tom.