Blurred Lines

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rayne shot Mr. Emerson a look as he shut the conference door and joined them at the long table.

"Look, Mr. Emerson, I appreciate a good cloak and dagger game as well as the... "

"This is no game, Ms. Ellison. I wish it were." He sighed as he slid a paper across the table to her. "I'm not going to beat around the bush, ladies. While cataloging the files you sent us, we found several interesting things. Stock certificates, a deed to a house in L.A., and... adoption papers."

Rayne was looking at the paper in front of her, but couldn't for the life of her, process what he was saying. "I don't understand... adoption papers for who?"

Mr. Emerson looked down at his hands clasped together on the table and sighed. "Yours, Rayne." He pointed to the paper in front of her. "Born August 28th, 1982, baby girl, adopted by Carl and Renee Ellison on September 2nd, 1982... They named you Rayne. There is no other name on record."

Rayne just sat staring at the paper in front of her as she tried to make sense of what the lawyer was telling her. Adopted. She was adopted. She shook her head as she looked at Mr. Emerson.

"That can't be right. There has to be some mistake."

Mr. Emerson looked at her with sympathy in his eyes as he slowly shook his head. "No, Rayne, there's no mistake." He pointed at the papers in front of her. "It's all there in black and white."

Rayne just sat staring down at the papers in front of her as Agnes reached over to squeeze her hand. "Why wouldn't they tell me? Why did they keep it from me all of those years?"

The older man shook his head. "I have no way of knowing the answers to those questions, Rayne. I just know what these documents state." He sighed as he took off his glasses and rubbed the bridge of his nose. "I can imagine, that after the shock has settled, and you've had time to think about all of this, you'll be interested in finding out about your real parentage. At that time, call us and we'll set everything in motion for that to happen." He stood and picked up his briefcase, holding out a hand first to Agnes, then to Rayne, before quickly walking to the door. He waited patiently for his junior partner to repeat his actions before both men left the conference room. After several minutes of weighty silence, Agnes softly cleared her throat and looked at Rayne.

"Are you ok, honey? Do you need me to find Tom?"

Rayne slowly shook her head before looking at Agnes with watery eyes. "No. He's working, and that's what we need to be doing. We should be packing up for New York."

Agnes clucked in disapproval. "Sweetie, you can't internalize this like you do most things. You need to take the time to work through it."

Rayne nodded in agreement as she stood up to leave the room, clutching the adoption papers in her hand. "I will, just not right now. We have work to do. At least that's still real."