2- A Phoenix Life

The empress was sitting leisurely in her pavilion. Surrounded by a large human-made pond. It was her favourite place in the
Phoenix Palace.

It was such a waste, since she only lived alone.

"Your majesty, a third rank concubine just killed herself !" An eunuch tells her.

"Third rank? It was a high position, why would she killed herself?"

She walked across the bridge and a pair of kois in the pond catches her attention. Suddenly she realised, the only reason for imperial wifes to kill herself is the emperor's affection.

____

"Royal majesty Empress has just arrived!"
Everyone kneels in respect. There are also Imperial Consort Hua, Imperial Consort Wei, Grand Consort Tan and Noble Consort Yang attending the meeting in the harem hall.

"What is the matter?"

"Your majesty, This Consort believe that this is no coincidence." Consort Yang act sorry.

"Guo Ye is quite favoured as a concubine, she reached third rank in three months." Consort Wei also stated.

"So, what your point ?"

"Hua Tu, is the main suspect for bullying and blackmailing her." Consort Wei answers sweetly.

Consort Hua's glare could freeze anyone who look at her. She gritted her teeth knowing she is being deceived. But the women of harem are as strong as steel, they just smiled sweetly to Consort Hua.

"Is there anyone who wants to give their opinion?" The empress was bored. Harem are full of snakes who tried to kill each other in order to be ranked higher. Little did they know, this lady who served the emperor for 10 years, also battling in the same war. She only has better clothes, shinier crown and bigger palace, but in the end woman's happiness is based on her husband affection. Which sadly is not on her side.

_____

"Mumu, tell me, are they killing each other to be in my position? Is their goal to be the empress?"

The thirty years old lady just smiled at her master. Mumu is the empress's personal servant since she was still in Lu Manor. She like a mother figure to Lu Yu.

"No other can replace my lady." She said as she removes hair pins from the empress's hair.

"Mumu, I'm thinking to try living in the harem house. I want to know their everyday life, their struggles and their thinking."

A shocked Mumu replied, "there's no way an empress-"

"Not as an empress, but as one of them. As the head of harem I have to solve their problem. I can't be a fair judge if I don't know the real situation."

"Your majesty.."

"Mumu, you know I was born to be an empress, I don't know other world than the golden carpet. Furthermore, Even Imperial Consort started as a concubine."

"But nubi* don't think my lady can abandon her position."

"I will only go there one or two times a week, no need to worry." The empress smiled and rose to her feet. Getting ready to go to the Dragon Palace.

"My lady, your sedan is ready."

____

The emperor calls her empress everyday. Not to bed her, but to talk about state matters.

The only woman he wants, the only woman he can not have.

The emperor finished off his painting by adding a quote.

"Your majesty, the empress is here."

"I, Empress Lu greets your majesty."

"No need for formality, sit down."

A servant poured a flower tea, which smells really good.

"Empress, do you realise something on the morning assembly?"

"Minister of defence Wei was trying to convince your majesty that sending spies to the West is the best solution to our current situation."

"And what do you think?"

"Even though Zhang dynasty has great warriors, but this empress do realise that spying is not our expertise."

"Then why does he suggest that?" The emperor trust his empress the most, she always give objective valuation.

"Your empress not very sure with the reason, it's better to hear his explanation first before judging."

"Hmm.. okay, it's almost dark. You can go back now." The emperor says that without even looking at her.

__________

When the empress went back to her palace, there was already a simple hanfu in her room. It was a fifth ranked concubine's hanfu.

She put the hanfu on and go to the harem house.

*nubi: I, used by servant

Thanks for reading.. please give some love by voting and share see you next week