6 - Lady of Harem

The emperor go back to his palace alone. All this time he only thinks about political problems and how to be a strong Kingdom. He tries his best to minimills his subject suffering. But seeing his imperial wives, his heart broke.

"They married with the dragon, it's very normal your majesty."

"But they are my wives." The Emperor said still feeling sorry for them.

"No your majesty, they are the emperor's wives." Bai Lu answered wisely.

He is silenced for a while, and then he realised,

That's right, they are the emperor's wife. Not his. If the emperor is someone else, they are still going to be imperial wives.

___
The court is boring as usual. The emperor started to think to stop doing it. But he knows that they need the attention.

However, Wei Clan is getting really powerful in the court. Spies that we sent a month ago are doing very well with getting information. The Lian kingdom is currently suffering from war-loss, so they don't have any point to attack our country.

The emperor now have a new hobby, visiting the harem house.

-

The empress is supposed to go for a walk with four of the Consorts. But she doesn't want to hear any self-brag or manipulation. So she sits comfortably in her study, writing poems.

"Her majesty should go, in order to build a good relation with the Consorts."

"I'm tired."

"Nubi think that your majesty shall not waste this opportunity to meet the Consorts."

"What are they up to now?" The empress gives up and walk to her dressing room.

This kind of meeting is a matter of pride. Flashy clothes, golden hair pins, jade ornaments are out for display. The sad thing is, even the empress needs to do so.

The empress walk slowly to the imperial garden. Four young women stand up to greet her.

"Good morning your majesty, may the empress live a long life." They say in unison.

"You may rise." They then walk to the pavilion using the order of their rank.

In the middle of the pavilion there is a round marble table. They sit gracefully with their servants, who are providing gifts that they want to present to each other. There are teas, perfumes and paintings each from their own provinces.

"How is your majesty doing?" Consort Yang greet her.

"This empress is feeling well."

A servant poured blooming flower tea for five woman on the table.

"New year is soon to come, is there any good news?" Consort Wei asks.

"Oh, Jiejie is going to have a child soon." Consort Hua answers with fake shyness. She clearly wearing the new silk wear that the emperor gave. Provocatively making the other women jealous.

"Is the empress busy this past days?" Consort Wei asks again.

"No, the empress still can manage her time very well. How about Consort Wei?" The empress sip the tea after returning with a question.

"This Consort only spent her days on making embroidery. It's nothing to be compared to what the empress do." Consort Wei answers humbly.

"If the empress have some spare time, how about we watching the concubines practice together ?" Consort Yang suggests.

"Sure"

The empress feel that Consort Wei is up to something. When Consort Hua is open about her achievements, and kind of brag about it. Consort Wei works in a secretive way. She needs to watch out to this two Consorts.

-
That night the emperor goes to the harem house again. He dresses more casually, trying not to be so appealing. He told Bai Lu to wait right outside the house.

The emperor welcomed by beautiful flute playing. Oh, they are still practicing. He is attracted by the soulful playing so he walks closer to the hall. He started dreaming about relaxing environments, surrounded by breathtaking scenery, quite lake and tall mountains. The emperor could imagine birds warble every morning, harvesting vegetables, and-

The emperor realised he is daydreaming when he saw the empress and four of the Consorts sitting leisurely on the stage. What are they doing here? Perhaps evaluating the performance. But the concubines are very talented. They have to be best of the best to be the imperial wives.

"Who are you, and what is mister doing here?" A small voice asks.

"Eh? Who are you?" The emperor startled.

"Nubi is a concubines of the emperor." She pauses, "but Nubi don't think mister can walk around the harem house, it is prohibited." She whispers.

"Is that so?" The emperor playing along with the concubine.

"Yes! Let's go out now, I will lead the way. Mister, please follow me." She is clearly terrified but she still helps him.

They walk in a snail's pace, going to narrow alleyways. Trying to hide from the lantern's light. The emperor thinks this is a kind of adventure. Might be childish but this is a person who trained all of his childhood we're talking about. And the emperor is just 22 years old, let him have fun!

When they finally arrived at the gate, the concubine send him off.

"Bye, don't come here again. Mister's life might be in danger!" She said.

She is so innocent, and kind. Isn't everyone is like this when they are young? People might turn evil because they are simply trying to survive!

"Tell me your name."

"I am four ranked concubine Yu." She said with the formal tone.

"I am the emperor." He said with the same tone of formality as the girl. He couldn't help but to mock this cute girl.

"..."

"And?"

"There's no time to play around mister, if the guard catches you might be punished!"  She says inpatiently. Telling the emperor to jump over the wall.

"Okay lets ask the guards..over there" he said pointing at the post. Then walks casually there.

"No, Mister please don't!" She runs following the emperor with fear.

But the emperor arrived first. He asks the guards whether they know him or not. Which immediately replied by a full bow and a formal greeting.

Yu concubine is in shock. She freezes at her place doesn't know what to do.

"See? I told you.." the emperor says playfully crossing his arm in front of his chest. He smiles proudly.

"Y-your majesty, this concubine did a terrible mista-"

"Forget it, you are going to the Dragon Palace tonight." He said and left.

"Told Bai Lu to prepare the sedan." The emperor says to one of the guard as he walks by.

Vote and share! See you next week..
Also, thanks for putting this story on your reading list! ❤️