22- A Phoenix with No Wings

He finally turns around and face her, Lian Tian sees her teary eyes. But he couldn't help it. This..

"Niao Niao, for that, you need to marry me."

"..." she goes silent. Is this a proposal? WAIT, IS THE CROWN PRINCE OF LIAN JUST PROPOSED TO HER?

Her heart races like crazy, she never expected this. She couldn't say a word so she just stare at him with questioning looks.

Wait. He must be joking. Lian Tian must try to insult the emperor by saying that. It means the current husband can not take a good care of his own wife. With this thinking, Niao Niao comes up with something witty to say back to Lian Tian.

"This low concubine doesn't know that the crown prince of Lian like second-hand goods." She says that proudly, mocking the crown prince.

Lian Tian is shocked when he heard Niao Niao saying that. She really just called herself second-hand goods.

He took a deep breath and say, "this prince don't expect to met a sealed woman when entering this harem house." Lian Tian looks at her eyes with sincerity, putting weights to his words. "It really doesn't matter in my point of view."

He.is.serious. Now Niao Niao is lost in her own thoughts, she couldn't bear to look at his eyes. Her hands moves uncomfortably, she knows she must say something. Lian Tian waits patiently for her answer, but what should she reply? Niao Niao secretly wishes that he will laughs at her and tells her that all of this is only to mess around with her.

But he doesn't.

"I'm married." She said finally

Lian Tian exhale a quick breath, "this prince is totally aware of that."

She doesn't understand what kind of situation is this.

"Tell me crown prince, what is your motive?what will you gain from this?" Niao Niao interrogates.

"Hmm.." the crown prince fake thinking, "you know, if I'm lucky enough, I might actually get to make you my queen.." he said raising his eyebrows. "That's this crown prince's goal."

"..." she has to admit Lian Tian is good at talking sweet talk. If she's any other girl, Niao Niao could picture herself being drunk in love. The problem is, she's not.

"What's the point of being a Phoenix with no wings?" She says, rejecting him softly. Niao Niao hopes he will understand with that answer. She prepares to leave, bowing a little at him and turns around.

"A Phoenix without wings is not a queen with no followers, not also a queen with no connections and power." Lian Tian knows what she means, but he won't give up too easily.

"Niao Niao, a Phoenix without wings is when a queen lost his king's love and affection." Lian tian looks so down when saying this, " I know it best." His eyes seems teary and he clenches his teeth to hide his emotions.

"What do you mean?" Niao Niao is confused. She frowns. She know clearly what the saying means, but he said she was wrong?

"My mother had everything a queen need to has. She's a politician that leads Lian Kingdom to its highest peak, important declarations and tractate are her works. She was born from a respected noble family, who served the kingdom for past centuries. One-third of the court is her followers, you must know how much is that.." he stops and takes a deep breath. "Yet those qualities still fail to help her." Lian Tian bits his bottom lip. "She even bore them a crown prince." By the time he finishes talking, a hot tears fall from his eyes.

"..." Niao Niao couldn't say a word. The pain in his voice is enough to explain everything. To explain that without a king's affection, a queen is nothing. He can kill her without thinking twice.
"Then what do you want from me?" She asks slowly.

"Everything.. I want your everything."

Isn't this is the most heartbreaking confession? Even if Niao Niao feels sorry for him, she can't give him what he wants.

Lian Tian looks at her eyes meaningfully. He walks closer to her and holds her hand. He sweeps away her hair, "Niao Niao, I'm serious about my feelings to you.."

Niao Niao doesn't know how should she feel. She's avoiding eye contact with him, because she can't answer him. She can't have another serious relationship, can she?

Lian Tian realise her hesitation. He also can understand her position. He smiles at himself, since Niao Niao couldn't see it. "I'll give you time to think about it, maybe this could help you.." he cups her cheek and place a quick gentle kiss on her lips.

Her eyes might pops out at this rate. Niao Niao feels her cheeks burns and her heart stopped beating. He stare at her when they finished, patting her head.

This is a capital offence!

She runs away with full speed. Passing concubines who look at her with disapproval looks. Niao Niao throws her pendant to the harem house's guards.

She runs and runs, collecting even more disapproval and disgust look from the people she passed by. Because a concubine is not allowed to go out from the harem house! The guards and officials turn their back on her, because they still want to live.

Finally she sees the emperor walking with some ministers. She feels relieved and runs to him,
"Your majestyyyyy..." she yells, shocking all the emperor and ministers around him.

They are all so confused. The ministers look at their feet, do not want to look at someone they shouldn't look at.

When finally she can reach the emperor, Niao Niao hugs him tightly and buries her face on his chest.

"Niao Niao? What's wrong?" The emperor asks as he hugs her back. Her body is so tensed that the emperor could senses it. He kisses her hair, to make her feel better.

"Your majesty, the crown prince of Lian is here." She whispers.

Okayy.. so #teamcrownprince or #teamemperor?

Thanks for reading.. share this story to your friends who loves Chinese historical story! Please leave some vote if you'd like!
See you next week..!