39

A/N: Vote and comment ;)

A few minutes after Shen left, with her stare still on Lui, the goddess of life and death asks him "Are you sure you are willing to give up anything for him?"

As Lui nods, the goddess of life and death adds, "even if you remain miserable... even if it takes your life." As Lui again nods, the goddess of life and death gives out a disgusted snort and coldly tells Lui in her usual cruel tone, "hmp... to retrieve him required binding his soul back to his body and since his body is destroy, that too will need to be fix."

What she said made sense so Lui nod and asks, "How do we do it?"

As she crosses his legs, the goddess of life and death gave him a dark smirk and tells him, "I need your god essence to bind him and heal him."

Lui had no idea what she meant by god essence, but if it'll save Zhanshi he is will to give it to her, and therefore quickly nod and was about to tell her that he is fine with it, but she interrupted him and adds, "ah... I forgot to mentioned. Once your god essence is fully remove you will die... and... when he wakes up, no one, include the person you are trying to save, will remember that you and he were once together. Are you okay with that?!... Are you okay with that person falling in love with someone else... creating a family with them... completely forget every second of you."

Of course Lui was not okay with any of it. Zhanshi is his and his alone, but since he has no other choice he gives her a quiet nod.

-----------------

When Shen gets back with Zhanshi's soul, the goddess of life and death quickly began the curse to heal Zhanshi's body and bind his soul back to his body. To both Shen and Lui's surprised, it did not take as long as they thought it would and they were able to bring Zhanshi back to the mortal realm and just wait for him to wake up.

-------------------

After placing Zhanshi in Shen's wing, Lui told Shen to go check on Aixin and he will look after Zhanshi. Which Shen quickly comply because he has already been away from Aixin for a few days now.

Once Shen left the room, Lui went to sit next to Zhanshi and gently lay his head on Zhanshi's chest, carefully listening to each thump, as tears again fell from his eyes. He had wish that he will at least get to tell Zhanshi he loves him and goodbye, but since he will begin to die the moment Zhanshi wakes up and Zhanshi including everyone else will forget their relationship, he knew it is an impossible wish. At the same time, he was also slightly glad that Zhanshi will not remember him because he will no longer be alive. He did not want Zhanshi to have to go through what he went through.

-------------------

Lui has been by Zhanshi's side for three days now and like the goddess of life and death had told him, as he sees Zhanshi getting better, he was beginning to feel himself getting weaker. But he was glad because the means that the curse is working.

Today, Lui felt especially weak, he barely wanted to lift his head from Zhanshi's chest, but when he feels Zhanshi beginning to show sighs of waking up, he forced himself to go get Shen and Aixin like he had promised

About 15 minutes after they arrived, Zhanshi slowly began to open his eyes and then immediately squint them shut again as the sunlight hits them. After a couple more tries he was finally able to open his eyes and stare at the concern looks on everyone's face.

--------------------

"Why do you all look like I just woke up from the dead" Zhanshi asks in his usual humous tone.

Sighing, Shen walks over to Zhanshi and asks him, "how are you feeling?"

As Zhanshi stretch and twist his body to his left and right, he gives Shen his usual happy smile and tells him, "Great amazing. In fact, I feel like I was just reborn."

Lui wanted to tell Zhanshi that he was, in some sense, reborn as a god now, but since it will not make a difference, he just cautiously asks Zhanshi in a soft voice, "How is your heart feeling?"

------------------

As Zhanshi turn his attention to Lui, although Lui knows it is impossible, a small part of his heart wished that Zhanshi would somehow miraculously recognized him, but when Zhanshi tells him, "It feels fine. Who are you by the way. I don't think I've ever seen you before... Are you a doctor?" His feels his heart shatter and feels tears begin to cascade from his eyes again.

-----------------

Upon seeing the tears in Lui's eyes, Aixin quickly corrects Zhanshi that Lui is not a doctor but his brother and tries to ask Lui why he is crying but Lui just quickly ran out of the room.

As Zhanshi wonder out loud, "did I say something wrong?... Shen who is that person?", he sees Shen looking from Aixin to him and then narrows his eyes questionably at him but said nothing.

------------------

Even though he had tried to prepare his heart for it, when he saw that Zhanshi and everyone else has forgot their relationship, like what the goddess of life and death had told him, he couldn't suppress his sorrow and had to get away from the room.

As he runs through Shen's large garden, he feels the last bit of his god essence leave him and falls onto the soft grass as he feels death begin to consume him.