rising sun

sam softly rolled over in bed. he groaned as the morning sun woke him. he heard the shower turn on. no surprise, dean was already up. sam walked over to the table and pulled out his computer. he began to study the local folklore, trying to find out why these men had been killed. his fbi phone began to ring.

"hello?"

"agent angus?"

"speaking."

"this is sheriff jones, i heard from my partner that you checked into a motel here in soquel. you working a case here?"

"yeah, why?"

"there's been two murders."

back to you...

you sat at the police department in a segregated room. how did you get here? your body was still in a state of shock. your eyes were red from sobbing and tears still gently flowed down your cheeks. the sheriff walked back in...

"look y/n... i've known you since you were a kid. you're best friends with my emma. i know you wouldn't do something like this, but whatever you saw you need to tell us." you looked up at her a tried to force a smile, but sobs just came out instead.

"i've called in some detectives. i know it's not even been a day, but we need to keep you in here until you tell us what you saw." you nodded through your tears as she walked out. within the hour, two men showed up in tuxedos. you couldn't see their faces, but something about them was vaguely familiar. the two walked into the room. you looked up- it was the sam and dean from the diner. your heart sank. they looked at you and then glanced at each other, and took a seat.

"let me guess, angus and young." sam turned to his brother.

"well, that's progress. i hear you haven't talked at all." you nodded your head. this whole situation was bizarre. it didn't matter if you prayed every night in middle school for the winchesters to be real, you'd give anything to have your baby brother and mom back.

"what did you see, y/n?" sam asked. you glared at them.

"you don't get to strut into town and interrogate me, i don't even know..." your voice trailed off for a minute, remembering your mom's black eyes. your knowledge of supernatural flooded your mind. you said an exorcism you wouldn't have known if it weren't for them. they saved your life. but you couldn't help feeling as if they ended your mom and brother's. 

"why are you even here?" you asked.

"we'll ask the questions here-" dean began to say.

"why are you here?" you raised your voice. "and who the hell are you?" all of this was too big to be a coincidence. the names and the impala, sure. but demons? it had to be them. it just had to be.

"listen y/n, to save other people we need to know what you saw." sam said softly. you took a deep breath. you decided to spare them the gory details, but for your own sake.

"it was a demon, clearly. it had the black eyes and all..." you sighed and gently rubbed your face.

"it's okay..." sam said. "take your time."

"the men killed you were talking about back in the diner? maybe a cross road demon but... but that doesn't make any sense why he'd kill gabe and my mom. before you ask, there was a strange smell. like rotten eggs. flickering lights too. our electricity, cable, phone service... none of it working." 

"any reason why-" sam began to say,

"no! there's- there's no reason anyone would want to hurt them... maybe mom, but not gabe."

"who'd want to hurt your mom?" dean asked.

"i don't know! we... we didn't tell each other... anything. but i wouldn't be surprised."

"i heard from sheriff jones that your mother had you two by a sperm donor?"

"yeah. no use in trying to track him down. i tried that years ago."

"and what happened?" sam asked.

"he's dead."

"do you know his name?" dean asked.

"yeah... yeah i know his name. his name is bobby singer."