your mess is mine

you walked into sam's room. you opened his door to see him sitting motionless on his bed, his eyes fixated to the wall. you leaned against the door frame, tilting your head gently to the side. your brain rattled in search for the proper words.

"i know i can't even begin to understand what you're going through but-" you eventually choked out, your voice still croaky from crying.  

"just... stop." sam said. "please. stop." you sighed, still on the verge of bursting into tears. you took a seat next to him, the bed quietly creaking under your weight. you slouched and gently rubbed your eyes, exhausted and overwhelmed. you knew nothing could do justice to explain how sam was feeling. you had no right to be sad, but you couldn't help yourself. regardless, you owed it to sam to at least be there. you looked to the ivory wall, starring at each crack and crevice along with him. you don't know how much time passed, maybe a minute, maybe an hour. but it didn't matter. you felt obligated, no, you wanted to stay with him until he felt better; you owed him that much. you sat together in peaceful pain, if there is such a thing, breathing softly in unison. you absorbed the smell of his room; the stench of liquor and the vauge aroma of rain. but most importantly, the overwhelming redolence of him. sam turned to you.

"y/n?"

"yeah?" he deeply sighed and pressed his eyebrows together. he opened his mouth, about to say something, but tears came out instead. he leaned his head on your shoulder and began to sob. you sat dumbfounded for a minute, then wrapped your arms around him.

"it's going to be okay." you softly whispered. "some day, it'll all be okay."