failed apologies

dean takes you both out to the kitchen where an assortment of hex bags lie across the table. 

"someone's been putting these around the house." he explains. you look down at the symbols.

"shit." sam murmurs. you look to them. 

"so?" you ask. "any ideas who?" dean shrugs. 

"dean, i..." sam's voice trails off. "i've never seen symbols like this before. they look almost... angelic." 

"i know." he responds. "i'll ask cas next time we-" 

"ask me what?" cas asks, appearing behind dean in an almost comedic fashion. you stifle a laugh. 

"son of a bitch!" dean yells. "the hell, cas?"

"uhm... sorry. " he murmurs. sam flashes you a worried smile when you turn to him. his face is classically constricted. you can tell he's concerned about you. cas picks up the bags with a certain intensity you've never seen before. 

"are these all?" he asks. 

"all that i could find." dean sighs. 

"are they, you know..." you say. they turn to you, confused. "i don't know, deadly?" 

"these are angelic barriers." cas responds. 

"the hell is that?" dean growls. frustration is painted on his face as he nervously glances to you. you shrug. 

"they prohibit use of certain abilities. i haven't seen them like these in years..." 

"what do you mean?" sam asks. 

"last time i saw them, they were used in a demon deal. someone trading their life for someone long deceased. whoever the demon makes the deal with, he will place them wherever they go to prevent angelic interference. most demon deals can be intercepted, but something like this..." his voice trails off. 

"cas?" you ask. 

"i don't fully know what's going on, but there are two things clear." he responds. 

"that someone here made a demon deal," dean begins, his voice shaky. 

"and that there's nothing we can do it to stop it." sam continues. the three of them look to you. tears begin to fill your eyes. 

"i-" you gasp for air, but nothing comes out. your body feels heavy and even standing seems to be a struggle. you rack your brain for an explanation, but nothing comes out. you think of a million things you'd like to say, but words fail you. so you say the only thing you can. "i'm sorry."