anything but perfect

sam trots into your room, leaning against the door frame. your weary eyes open, but shut as soon as you register his presence. you turn away from him. 

"good morning." he whispers, creeping towards you. you inch to the end of the bed. uncomfortable in your own skin, and hating yourself for not being okay. 

"hi." you choke out. he puts his hand on your shoulder. 

"i'm not mad." he softly says. 

"i know."

"are you?"

"i'm mad that you're not mad." his chuckle is warm. it's pureness surrounds you. 

"why?"

"because it..." you hesitate. you abruptly sit up. "because it shows how much of a good guy you are and how fucked i am for not being able to give you anything!" you nearly yell. 

"y/n..." 

"no, shut up! god, shut the fuck up!" you start to yell. "stop being such a good guy! stop being so nice, and loving, and confusing! i want to hate it but it's so hard, and i just feel like shit because i'm making you feel like-" you stop as his eyes fill with tears. "s-sam... i'm so- i'm so sorry... i-"

"it's fine." he turns to walk out, but you grab his hand.

"s-sam... please... let's talk about this!"

"later." he spits, his voice raw with emotion, the word 'later' repeating in your mind.