goodnight

you sneak into the living room, trying as hard as you can to be silent. the light flickers on. 

"morning, sunshine." you stifle a scream.

"dean!" you hiss. "what the hell?" he lightly chuckles. he gestures to a chair to the left of him. you sit, flustered and surprised. 

"heard you and sammy were having trouble in paradise." you roll your eyes.  

"none of your business." you growl. you're conflicted, you aren't really upset with dean, but you need someone to be upset with. besides, he disturbed your midnight snack. enough of a reason to be pissed. 

"what were you doing sneaking out here, kimpossible style?" you nod in the general direction of the fridge. he understands immediately. he sighs in response, shaking his head with a smile. 

"what were you doing here?" you ask dean, your eyebrows firmly pressed together. 

"figured you'd make your way out here." you yawn, exhausted by this conversation, and exhausted in general.  

"ready for bed?" you smile. 

"sort of." he returns the smile. you begin to get up with the intention of going straight to bed, but he stops you. 

"y/n..." you turn around to face him. 

"yes?" he stares intently at you. his gaze softens as he rattles his brain for something, anything, to say. nothing comes out. 

"goodnight, dean." you say as you trot off to bed. 

"goodnight..." you hear him softly murmur as you walk away.