Chapter 9

After Lucy had changed Natsu insisted on giving her a ride home. They were walking into the parking lot of his apartment complex when they came to a stop in front of a shiny crimson red Mustang.

"Pretty sweet, right?" Natsu grinned as he pressed the button on his keys to unlock the car.

Lucy's was in silent shock.

The car pulled out of the parking lot and onto the bustling city streets. It was mid day and the sun was out again. People were walking up and down the sidewalk.

Unfortunately the inside of the crimson red Mustang wasn't as lively as the city outside.

"So how have you been?" Natsu spoke breaking the silence. He glanced her way for a second before facing the road again.

"Good. What about you?" Lucy kept her gaze outside the window.

"Can't say I've been that great."

"Why's that?" She glanced his way.

"Cause I haven't seen you for two years." He said as if it was obvious.

Lucy stayed silent, her gaze turning back to the window. He glanced back her away realizing she wasn't going to respond.

"So that's it? You've got nothing to say?" The irritation in Natsu's voice was evident.

"Nope."

He shook his head in disbelief, his grip tightening on the steering wheel.

"Right cause the princess doesn't have to answer to her underlings."

"Stop Natsu."

"Why? Because you don't want to hear what I have to say? Or because you just don't care."

"It's because everything your saying is crap Natsu!" She shouted angrily.

"Seriously? So you didn't just break up with me and get engaged to Sting Euciffle for no reason?" The sarcasm was dripping in his voice.

Lucy's chocolate orbs gazed upon him widely but they slowly turned sad.

"It wasn't like that."

"Yea you broke it off because you were to good for me right?" The look on Natsu's face showed one of hurt even though he had a sarcastic smile.

"We just aren't right for each other."

"Bullshit." He cursed angrily "You wanted Euciffle cause he took you out all the time and showered you with gifts." His tone continued to rise and his grip on the steering wheel was so strong that his knuckles were turning white.

"And all I could do was love you. Sorry that wasn't enough Lucy."

"JUST SHUT UP!" She screamed. Her fingers were entangled in her hair as tears began to fall down her cheeks.

By this time they had already pulled into the parking lot in front of Lucy's apartment. Natsu pulled into a spot and turned off the car.

"Why can't you just admit it?" He asked in a low voice.

"Because it's not true." She stated clearly before opening the door and stepping out.

Natsu did the same but she was already walking off. He grabbed her by the hand and pulled her gently back.

"Then what's the truth Lucy?" He asked in a pleading voice.

She gently faced him. Chocolate brown orbs meeting onyx ones.

"I knew you were still in love with her."

His grip faltered.

She was crying.

But continued to walk away.

And Natsu stood there, unable to find the strength to go after her fading figure.

The past was coming back to haunt them both.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Unknown Location]

In a very mysterious and empty building, the sound of footsteps echoing throughout a hall could be heard, and then a knock on a heavy door

"Headmaster?"

"Yes? What is it?"

"About our latest recruitment mission..."

"I put our 3 best men on it. Is something wrong?"

"Well it seems that she's a police officer, won't that effect the circumstances? I think your taking this whole thing to lightly, we don't have much time."

"Nonsense. I have plenty of faith in them, especially that pyro. Don't worry my dear,  everything shall work out in the end."

"I hope your right."