Chapter 18

"Hey baby"

"What the hell are you doing here?"

Lucy could feel Stings growl rumbling in his chest before she was swiftly pulled away. A warm around wrapped protectively around her waist and pulled her close into an intoxicating heat.

"Well I'm here with my date obviously."

The blondes chocolate eyes made contact with her savior. His fluffy pink hair and toothy grin. His grip tightened on her waist to assure her that he wasn't going anywhere.

She felt safe again.

Sting let out an obnoxious laugh, "Get out of here Natsu." He held up his hand and gestured his fingers closer before placing his arm back to his side

"Before someone gets hurt."

As Sting said those words various members of the crowd began to surround them in a small circle. Each of them holding small handguns that were aimed for the matching 'couple' in the middle.

"Oh come on, it's a party ain't it?" Natsu smirked confidently.

It pissed Sting off big time.

In Natsu's mind however, he was freaking out. The plan had failed, and now he was trying to improvise any way of escape. His onyx eyes scanning the crowded circle around them for any easy exit, but the space was packed tight.

He sighed before whispering "Now Gajeel."

"Keep your head down Luce." He whispered in the blondes ear as he held her close.

Sting stared at them suspiciously before the sounds of rapidly firing gunshots landed all around the room. Sounds of glass breaking and screams of terror filled the banquet hall.

"Come on!" Natsu shouted as he grabbed Lucy's hand and ran straight for the exit.

The valet was standing outside, "Allow me sir."

"I got it. Thanks." The pink head snatched his car keys from the man as he continued to run through the parking lot with Lucy.

"Me and Lucy are out. Meet back up at the warehouse in 20 minutes." Natsu stated in a panicked tone before tossing the ear piece into his empty cup holder. He sped out of the banquet hall area and onto the empty city street.

Lucy had stayed silent and gently took the small Bluetooth pill from her ear and held it in her palm.

"Are you okay?" Natsu asked her softly, his onyx eyes looked over at her for a second.

"You knew he was going to be there. Didn't you?" She didn't look at him, her gaze stayed on the road ahead.

Natsu released a small sigh, "I couldn't risk jeopardizing the mission."

Lucy's chocolate eyes darkened with rage. She felt completely betrayed, but what could she say? Everything that was happening now was simply a result of her past decisions. It was all on her and she couldn't blame Natsu for putting his job first.

But that didn't make the pain in her heart fade at all. She shook her head in an attempt to clear her thoughts as she turned away from him again.

"So what happens now?" She asked emotionlessly.

"We find Sting and get him to confess all the information he has on Tartaros."

The tone in Natsu's voice was dead serious and Lucy's blood ran cold again. She thought back on Sting's threat from earlier. Something big was happening, and she was caught in the middle. During the rest of their car ride she had stayed silent, as her mind filled with her past decisions that had led her to this moment.

"Im gonna protect you Lucy." Natsu spoke breaking the silence. "I won't let them take away your future."

Lucy could feel her heart pound softly against her chest. Those chocolate brown eyes of hers gazed upon his shadowed profile.

"I promise you that."

"Thank you."

*
*
*

"We located her apartment. Proceed as planned."