Chapter 38

-Ariana's POV!!-

What just happened? I almost kissed Harry. I almost kissed him. And then Liam walked out and saw us then walked away in a mood. Then Harry said he would be back and kissed my cheek, And then the butterflies in my tummy, oh the butterflies.

Why did I do that? It was so unfair. I was giving him hope and giving myself hope. Literally moments before I ran into him I decided I could never speak to him again in case something like that did happen. I was planning on completely avoiding him until the show finished and I never had to see him again. What the hell? It was probably just me wanting a goodbye, or a last kiss. I knew I wouldn't get another chance so I wanted to take the chance while I still had it. Yes, that's it.

'The live results show will be starting in 15 minutes' The big backstage voice said. Shit only 15? I needed to run to hair and make-up.

I also needed to find Liam to explain. Oh god what a mess this was. Not that I liked Liam but he was such a good friend of mine I didn't want to lose that.

When I got to the hair room they dragged me into the seat and quickly redid my hair so there was no stray hairs flying around. I then ran to make-up who sorted out my face and everyone wished me luck and I thanked them all. Backstage I kept bumping into a lot of familiar faces some of which I wasn't to happy to see.

'Excuse me' I said to a tall brunette woman I was trying to squeeze past. She turned around and I immediately recognised her. It was Sophia. I looked at the man she was talking to and it was Liam her boyfriend. Oh damn. She kept a smile on her face though. I don't think she would say anything to me now. Not in front of him.

I squeezed past her and thanked god she didn't say anything or kill me or anything like that. I headed towards Liam's dressing room. He would definitely be in there. Before a show he would always have a calm sit down and prep himself up for it.

When I got there I knocked on the door and opened it poking my head round the side. Liam looked up and when he saw me he smiled but it wasn't his usual happy smile and for some reason I think I may have something to do with that.

'Hey LiLi' I said sitting down in the chair opposite him.

'Hey Ari' He answered looking at me, still with that fake smile plastered on his face. 'How are you?'

'I'm good thanks, you?'

'I'm fine. just a bit nervous' He kept on smiling. Why was he so nice? I would rather him be angry at me than pretend to be all happy.

'You're not fine' I pointed out bluntly and he chuckled slightly.

'You're right, I'm not.'

'Listen, if it's about what you saw between me and Harry then there is nothing going on between us'

'You had your hand on his chest, his hand was on yours you were about to kiss then he kissed your cheek'

'Yeah, nothing going on between us. Listen I know you probably don't believe me but things between me and him are complicated. We aren't together and we wont be getting together it's just-'

'I get it, he's Harry Styles'

'No, Liam it's not like that. I'm not like that.'

'I know you're not Ari, I just feel like such a dick. I made a move on you when you obviously like him and I just feel like such an idiot.'

'No, please don't feel like that. You didn't know! Honestly. It's my fault for not making it clear enough that I don't like you' I said and his fake smile fell off his face. 'That didn't come out right' I said.

'No, it's fine. I needed to hear that. Thank you. Friends?'

'Friends' I agreed 'But LiLi I-'

'I know' He cut me off again 'If you wouldn't mind do you think you could leave? I need to do my little ritual thing' He said his fake smile reappearing on his face.

'Sure' I replied standing up and walking towards the door. I know me and Liam would still be friends I knew he would be ok soon. It's just knowing that I upset him.

Now all I needed to do was avoid Harry which should be easy I just need to stay away from the backstage area while I'm alone and then slip away after the show.

'Can One Direction please make their way to the stage' The voice announcement said. Which meant I was going to my dressing room now. It was only a 30 second walk from the stage so I could be ready to go whenever they needed me.

After a minute or two I heard Dermot start talking to the audience and introducing the show.

'Hello and welcome to  the X-factor results show. First night of the final!' The crowd cheered 'We have such a good line up for you tonight. We have a very good line up for you tonight but first, One Direction everybody' The crowd all went crazy and the music started and the boys started to sing. I could feel the energy of the crowd and everyone backstage and I was alone in my dressing room.

'Can the judges and their contestants please come to the stage' The big backstage voice announced and I left my dressing room and walked to meet with the other people who had been called. Liam looked happier now. And he wasn't faking. He just needed time to clear his head, I hope. Tulisa, Katy, and Louis all looked really excited. Jane and Liam looked really nervous and to be honest I looked the same. This could be the end of the road for us. These next few minutes really meant the world.

When One Direction finished their song they all came running off the stage and Harry joined us backstage. I immediately joined in with Tulisa and Jane's conversation. Dermot got back onto the stage and introduced us all and we all walked out through the doors which opened at the back of the stage. I was squeezing Tulisa's hand so hard her blood circulation must of been cut off. Damn I'm nervous. I waved and smiled best I could at the audience but my tummy was flipping and my heart was in my mouth.

'Ok so, right now one act will find out they are through to tomorrow nights Final and the other two will have to battle it out to win their spot. So, by public demand, the person with the most votes tonight going straight through into tomorrows final is' He paused, probably only for a couple of seconds but it felt like an eternity. My head started running through a bunch of scenarios. Me getting through. Me having to sing against Liam, me having to sing against Jane. Dermot laughing and starting a conga line with the audience, me waking up and all of this being a dream. 'Is Jane! Congratulations you are through to tomorrow nights live final show'

Jane screamed and jumped up and down and everyone on the stage ran over to hug her. She really deserved it she had such an amazing powerful voice and she had worked unbelievably hard during this competition.

'So this means that later on tonight Ariana and Liam will have to sing again and by the judges vote we will find out who wins the second spot in tomorrow nights live final'

Then it sunk in. I had to sing against Liam. I couldn't do that. He was so good. I had no chance. I was going home. I knew it.

---------------------------------------

hey guys thanks so much for reading please vote, comment and read my other fanfics. It means the world I love you all to pieces x