Chapter 12

I pulled on my running shoe's, I'd decided a jog on the beach was needed, to clear my head.

I let myself out and walked down to the beach. Summer was ending and I needed to make the most of the weather.

There were alot of people at the beach today and I made my way down to the waters edge, to jog on the firmer sand.

Jacob and I were officially over, which made me sad, I'd shed a few tears over the last week, six year's over. Somedays I felt like calling him and telling him it was all a mistake, other day's I felt free.

I was starting my new job tomorrow,  I was nervous but excited, I really couldn't wait.

I ran long and hard, trying not to think about anything, except Lilah of course, I was catching up with her later, and I couldn't wait. One good thing to come out of Jacob and me was the fact that it had led me to her.

I ran for a good hour then ran all the way home. I didn't feel any better.

I jumped in the shower, got changed and drove to meet up with Lilah, we were having lunch and I found her sitting at a table outside.

"Hey." I said hugging her.

"Are you stil all depressed or have you moved on?" She asked immediately.

I shrugged "Up and down, I guess."

"Well this weekend there's a party and your coming." she declared.

"I don't think so Lilah, I'm not the party type." Well I wasn't lately anyway.

"Well too bad you are and did Matt call you yet?" she demanded.

I shook my head, he hadn't called, not that I would even know how to deal with that.

"I would've sworn he was going to call you Ana, I mean he's single and that, I dunno."

"It really isn't a big deal Lilah, it's too soon for me to date anyone anyhow."  Really, I thought, you wouldn't date him?

"Well, he'll be at the party, so you can see him then."

We ate and chatted then went shopping, Lilah insisted on dressing me for this party, so she picked out an outfit for me. I would never wear it, but I wasn't telling her that.

I left her late in the afternoon and went home, I wanted to get a good night's sleep because I had to get up early for work. I got everything ready for tomorrow and climbed into bed to read a bit.

I couldn't concentrate at all, I stared at the same page for ten minutes, constantly rereading it but not taking it in. I gave up, put my book down and turned off my lamp.

I layed there in the dark and had a moment of overwhelming sadness and loneliness, it felt strange being by myself.

My phone went off, I had a message. It was from Lilah.

Don't forget to wear heels too the party, your short you know.

I laughed, she was never going to let me forget it, but I certainly was not wearing heels, anywhere, ever.

Sure

I sent back and put my phone up, smiling to myself. It went off again. I couldn't imagine what she had to say now.

I picked it back up and read the message.

Hey Ana, it's Matt, just wondered how you are?

WHAT. I looked at it again, I didn't know the number.

It was Lilah, being stupid, it had to be. I dialed her number.

"What's up?" she answered.

"Very funny Lilah, I need a good nights sleep and this is not helping." I scolded her.

"What isn't helping? I have no idea what you mean."

"This message Lilah, I'm not laughing." I was trying not to sound pissed.

"Ana, what fucking message? I didn't send a message." she snapped.

"You didn't? " I asked and hung up.

I stared at the message. Should I reply? And say what? I was going to sound like an idiot no matter what I texted. I took a deep breath.

Oh hey, I'm good thanks, how are you?

I quickly pressed send and groaned. What had I done.

I layed there, no reply. I'm such an idiot. Fuck.

My phone rang. I looked at it, it was him.

Be calm, I told myself. "Hello."

"Ana, hey." Oh god his voice.

"Matt, how are you?" I asked, I had no idea what to say at all.

"Good, what about you? What have you been doing?"

"Oh I start my new job in the morning, so that's exciting." Oh boy, I was getting worse.

"That's great." That was it.

Silence.

Say something Ana, your making an ass of yourself.

"So." I said. So, really?

"So. Ana. Look, do you want to go out Friday night?" he asked quickly.

"Sure." I said "Who's going?"

"Uh just us, you and me, I thought we could have dinner and see a movie." he said awkwardly "But only if you want to."

Only if I wanted to. Did I want to.

"That sound's nice." I smiled, it sounded very nice.

He would pick me up around 6.30, so I gave him my address and we said goodbye.

Almost immediately my phone rang again. I answered.

"Ana, what the fuck is going on? You ring me saying weird shit then your phone goes to voice mail when I call you back."

"He asked me out." I blurted.

"Who, who asked you out? Matt?" She asked excitedly.

"Yes." and I started giggling.

"Hallelujah. " Lilah screamed. "But wait, I thought you weren't ready to date?"

"I lied."

And we both started laughing.