Chapter 20

It was another beautiful day, so we sat at a table outside. We ordered a drink, and I looked around. There were alot of people out and about and that made me even more self conscious than I already was.

"Are you okay Ana?" Matt asked me.

I looked at him, he was smiling.

"Yeah, I overslept so I had to rush, I'm just a little flustered."

"But I thought you were going to bed early?" Goddamn it.

"Well, I couldn't sleep." Damn, I was being obvious.

"Sorry to hear that. Any particular reason?" he asked, smirking at me.

Any particular reason? As if he didn't know why I couldn't sleep.

"I was hot." Jesus Christ, wrong answer. "It was a warm night." I quickly added.

He laughed "Oh my god Ana, your so funny."

Great, I was funny. "Thanks, I guess."

We sat there talking about him, which I was happy to do, I wanted to know everything about him, and about halfway through lunch I realised that he honestly was just a really nice guy, and I was pretty lucky to have met him.

It was going so well, though I really couldn't stop wondering if he would kiss me again.

"So what about you and Jacob?" he suddenly asked.

Time for things to go bad. "Uh what about me and Jacob?"

He started looking uncomfortable. "I mean, you know, how long were you together, why did you break up, that sort of stuff."

Why did he want to know this? I couldn't see how any of this had to do with me and him?

"God I'm sorry Ana, I didn't mean to, well you know."

I was devastated that he'd asked, obviously my relationship with Jacob was on his mind, and bothering him.

"It's fine really." I glanced at my watch "Look at the time, I need to get home." I stood up.

He stood up "Oh okay, well hang on I'll pay the bill."

I dug around in my purse and handed him some money "It's okay, I'll walk, it's really not far."

I turned and walked away.

"Ana, stop." he said, but I kept walking.

I knew this wouldn't work, who was I kidding, and the worse thing, I could feel tears in my eyes, and what the hell was I thinking anyway.

"For fuck sake Ana, I'm sorry." He'd caught up with me.

"It's fine." I was overreacting, I knew I was.

"Obviously not." he grabbed my arm "At least slow down."

I slowed down, a little.

"Ana, I was curious, that's all, god I don't even know what to say."

"Your curious, fine, Jacob and I started dating in my last year of high school, we dated for six nearly seven years." He looked shocked "He's the only guy I've kissed, well until last night, and yes Matt, he's the only guy I've slept with, so now you know. Would you like to know why we broke up? Hmmm oh and while we're sharing why don't you tell me about you and Amber."

I stopped, crossed my arms and looked at him.

"Fine, Amber and I went out for about 8 months, that's it, not much to tell, and I broke up with her because I didn't love her, it took me awhile to realise, but I did." He was looking at me, right into my eye's.

"I'm sorry Matt, I overreacted, really." God, I felt so stupid, I'd blurted everything out.

"No you didn't,  it was my fault." He looked around, we were standing in the middle of the footpath and everyone was walking around us. "Come over here." He grabbed my hand and pulled me out of everyone's way. "The reason I asked was because, well, I, oh god, I dont know, jealousy."

I couldn't understand what he had to be jealous of. "Jealous of what Matt?"

"Of Jacob, obviously,  I mean six years is a long time." What was he trying to say.

"What are you trying to say Matt, Jacob and I are over, I was sick and tired of living his dream, why are you jealous?"

"Ana, I don't want to be your rebound or whatever."

Rebound? Really? How could I tell him that it was him that made me reach my decision? Meeting him.

"Your not my rebound." I reached out and grabbed his hand.

He reached out and pulled me close. "Good, because for some reason, from the moment I saw you doing up your laces, I knew there was something about you."

Oh god, what was happening? "I know what you mean."

He took my face in his hands and kissed me.

"You don't really need to get home do you?" he asked, brushing his lips across mine.

I shook my head and smiled.

"Good."