41.

Jihoon walked into his next class, white clout goggles on his face, and a matching white dad hat with an eye catching embroidery fitted on his head. The boy could barely see as his eyes were swollen once again, not even given the proper time to heal.

"Someone's early," Soonyoung said, a small smile playing on his lips as he watched the boy slide into the seat beside him.

"You know, I'm just tryna be studious or whatever," Jihoon said, a small laugh escaping his lips followed by a wince.

The boys made small talk, and Soonyoung couldn't help but notice Jihoon typing the notes being projected at the pace of a turtle.

"Jihoon, what the hell is wrong, do you have a cramp in your hand or something?" Soonyoung chuckled before grabbing the boy's hand, proceeding to massage it. He examined the boy's hand, seeing as the boy's left wrist was swollen.

"What the fuck is this?" Soonyoung whispered seriously, his grip on Jihoon's hand tightening when the boy tried to pull away.

"It's none of your business,"Jihoon said, the words coming out more aggressive then he intended as he finally snatched his hand away.

"Is this none of my business too?" Hoshi retorted, slightly hurt as he practically ripped the glasses from the boy's face.

The two attracted a couple pair of eyes as Jihoon snatched the glasses from the other's hand.

Jihoon could hear the whispers spread around the room commenting on his eyes.

"Exactly, it's not. I knew I should have never fucking showed up today," Jihoon muttered shoving his lab top into his bookbag before leaving the class.

Soonyoung sighed angrily as he rolled is eyes, running his hands through his hair as he sunk into his chair.

●●●

"What's on your mind?" Wonwoo said, popping a stick of mint gum in his mouth as he plopped down beside the boy on the old beat up couch that rested in their usual hangout spot.

"Look. . .I have a friend who's friend is going through stuff, right?" Soonyoung said, pausing for a little. Wonwoo nodded as he played with the strands of his own hair.

"And his friend just freaked out when he tried to see what was wrong with him and help. . .so what should he do?" Soonyoung asked, a slight frown decorating his face as he knitted his eyebrows together.

"You should just ask Jihoon what the problem is, if he sees you just genuinely care about him," Wonwoo went on, scrutinizing his nails.

"How did you kn-," Soonyoung went on only to be cut off.

"Because I know you asshole. I know you about as much as I know myself," the boy said smiling.

Just as the boys were conversing, Jihoon angrily busted through the rooftop's steel door. He looked up, a small look of discomfort making its way onto his annoyed face as his eyes landed on Soonyoung. He took of his hat, running his fingers through his hair angrily as he rolled his eyes, and he proceeded to turn around.

"W-wait," Soonyoung shot up from his position in the couch, following the boy who already disappeared through the door.

Soonyoung caught a grip of the other's wrist. The two stood in the aged concrete stairwell, tension filling the air. Soonyoung stood at the top of the staircase while Jihoon stood one stair below him.

"What?" Jihoon asked, attitude practically dripping from the word. Soonyoung clenched his jaw as he let go of Jihoon's wrist.

"What the hell is your problem?" the boy asked, knitting his eyebrows together.

"My problem? What the hell is your problem?" Jihoon asked, narrowing his eyes, though he struggled to do so, as one was barely open.

"I'm worried about you. And you tell me to leave it alone like . . .like I should just watch you get beat up like this," Soonyoung said angrily as if the answer wasn't obvious enough.

"Oh, you care? It didn't seem like it when you ripped my fucking glasses off my face. I wear them to hide this shit, not for you to draw attention to me and then expose it. Almost everyone knows who my step dad is, so I don't need you feeding their gossip," Jihoon answered.

"I'm sorry, I know how hard it is for you," Soonyoung said, reaching out to grab the other's hand.

Jihoon scoffed," No . . .no you don't. You don't know what it's like to be treated like a punching bag every night because things didn't go well for your stepdad at work. You don't know what it's like for his son to beat the shit out of you because some kid spilled iced americano on his all white adidas nmds so now he has to buy a new pair with my money that I earn from these competitions. And you sure as hell don't know what it's like to want to run away and never look back, but you can't leave your mom behind to become the next you," Jihoon said, tears streaming from his swollen eyes.

The boy turned to leave, only to be pulled by his wrist into Soonyoung's chest. Soonyoung wrapped his arm around the boy's neck, his free hand smoothing down Jihoon's hair.

Jihoon stood there stiff; motionless as he tried to hold what was left of himself together but failed. He let his head rest against Soonyoung's chest as he sobbed. His muffled cries echoed through the empty stairwell, Soonyoung's grip on the boy only becoming tighter as he stepped down to somewhat match his height. Jihoon moved his head to the crook of Soonyoung's neck as the boy stroked his back.
~~~
if there are spelling errors my bad😅