51

Yatta's POV

"Shit." I groaned out of frustration.

"You got it, Yatta." My trainer encouraged me.

There's a Recovery Center out here in Vallejo that I've been going to, so I can get back on my feet. I've been with them for almost 2 months now, and I'm starting to see small improvements. I'm able to at least move my legs a little while I'm sitting down and stay standing on my own, but before I joined this center I couldn't do a thing.

My trainer had me laid back on a mat, while on the edge of what looked like a small stage. It wasn't that high up though, so it was safe. I had to try my best and lift my legs up without any help, and I've been struggling with it for a while. They called it Evaluation, but they were just leg lifts to me. I kept getting frustrated with myself, since I couldn't get as high as I wanted. But my trainer and Mamé were by my side, not letting me give up even though I really wanted to.

"Work on your breathing, baby. It helps." Mamé spoke to me, and I knew better then to give up on her.

My trainer carefully held up one of my legs, and had me lift up one leg up at a time. It was harder for me, but I didn't want to give up. After doing a couple more on my right leg and switching to my left, we moved on to the next exercise.

"You've improved so much, from the first month that you were here." My trainer spoke once we finished.

"Really?" I didn't really care much about the small improvements. I'll be satisfied whenI can take a few steps on my own. I twisted open my water bottle cap and downed it. "I don't see much improvement."

"The first day, you weren't even able to move your legs. Yatta, you came a long way." She gave me a small smile.

"Preciate that." I spoke.

"You ready to go?" Mamé came back from the restroom, pulling out her phone. "We gotta pick up Kj from your aunty."

"Yeah." I responded.

We headed out and Mamé helped me into the car, putting my wheel chair in the trunk. It was cold out, so I threw on my hoodie once I got seated. Once she got into the driver seat, she warmed the car up for a little before pulling off.

Since we didn't want to stay long, Mamé called my aunt and she said that she would bring Karl outside. My aunty walked out her front door with Gianna and Karl gripping onto her hands. I smiled once I saw my twin and Cork's twin. They parted from her, and ran full speed to the car. Karl started tripping up a little, so he had to slow down. I opened my door for them, and gave them their hugs. Gianna was staying with us, so Mamé helped my aunt bring her bag out.

"So, how was the center?" My aunt asked.

I shrugged. "It was coo, just tryna get these legs right and tight. Namsayin." I gave her a smile and she laughed.

"I hear you, boy. You taking them pills on the daily?"

"Yes ma'am." I responded, putting Karl down.

"Alright, y'all take care. It's cold out here so y'all better keep my babies warm."

"We will." Mamé and I spoke in unison. "You too, ma." I replied.

"Bye babies." She waved to Gianna and Karl. They did the same, full of energy and ready to eat.

"So where y'all wanna go?" Mamé asked, since they said they wanted to go out to eat.

"Bj's!!" They wasted no time replying, getting excited just mentioning the restaurant. I shook my head and laughed. Mamé let them know that it was okay, and the whole ride there they sang whatever came on the radio, too energized. It was just a whole bunch of jibberish, since Karl didn't know what he was saying yet he yelled at the top of his little lungs.