At Morning Light

Emme felt quite spent or tired (a tired that is hard to explain). Not muscle worn. Not bruised. She also felt (again hard to explain) pampered!

Her toes brushed lightly against smooth sheets on a bed incredibly plush. The whole bed smelled like a dusting a fresh scented powders.

There was a weight across her (possibly one of those hugging pillows).

When she opened her eyes, she saw Princess Yva resting her herself on the bed (arms and head resting on Emme).

Emme took slow breaths. She was not sure if the Princess was sleeping or in restful watch. The Princess then started to also breathe, smile, and open her eyes.

"That smile.", Emme thought "Even in the cursed form of a burly man. That smile was unmistakable."

Yva: "I am glad you are awake. You saved my life again. Mommy and I took off your clothes. She wanted to be sure there were no curse marks on your body. She looked and so did I. I am sure you have none, not even under the hair on your head. Mommy was worried that the mark could be inside you. That you might not ever recover.

You have impossibly fair and undamaged skin! Mommy pointed it out. No knee scars, like I have."

Emme muses, thinking with a light chuckle 'Just like women. A creature of perfection finds every small fault within themselves.'

Any flaws Yva might have on her skin would require inspection glasses.

Yva: "You have the kingdom at your service, Emme. You saved me and made yourself sick doing it. Your gold brought me home."

Emme, with weak voice: "Do not forget. That gold was made as a payment. It belongs to the Rogue. I spent it because he was not in his right senses. We must be sure to honor that transaction before his true self is restored."

Yva shifts on the bed to be knelling closer to Emme face 'By my honor, Emme. To You and to Him. I vow.'

The Queen enters the room. Yva is directed by a gentle pull off the bed and out the door.

The Queen slides onto the bed and sits by Emme. She smiles and a single tear drops off of her face. Emme manages to bring a hand over, first heading towards her face but then pausing to just be nearby. The Queen takes Emme's hand and brings it to her face; the hand press against the cheek wet from that tear. They sit silently. Emme understands unspoken gratitude. Among many people, this is the highest regard, the highest thanks.

Once out of the bedroom at her mother's hand, Princess Yva goes off to her room and dresses herself.

Yva heads downstairs to the dungeons. Only one person is held there. A steady magic light shows a place only slightly dusty and only a few old web fragments hanging in upper corners. There she finds her father the King, having a dispute. That man, Rogue, is behind bars. Restored, but wearing the travel clothes. The argument is over payment.

The look from the man is at first a glare, but he drops his eyes.

Yva walks to her father and says: "Father this man took me out of an inescapable place. We must give him everything he lost and a suitable reward."

With a kiss, the King sends her back up the stairs.

Facing Rogue, the King says: "Yes. That is what will happen. I devote my kingdom to it."

On a nearby table, there lay beads that had been on the necklace of the Queen. Magic keys that helped undo layers of protection spells. The cell was arrayed with magic detection meters.

On hearing the King's vow, how it had been the result of gentle supplication by the Princess; Rogue was warmed by that love. He became at once inward, reflecting on his life. The stark contrast of his life, compared to what he just witnessed.

Magic meters in the room pegged to one side and then reset. Some readings were now quite opposite. Even the King appears surprised.

The King's assistant here, an older guard, speaks up. 'I have only ever witnessed this one time before. The intrinsic change of a man's nature. You there in the cell, what do you want.. from life?"

Rogue: "To only ever do good. Make restitution for my past. Pay the price for past crimes."

The King opens the cell door and beckons him to walk out.

The King grabs his wrists and says: 'I manacle you here, with only the memory of this decree. We will work together to achieve your goals. For now, you will stay here in the castle in lodgings I will provide. You are a citizen held by our kingdom, any charges against you will need to be measured first by me.'

Everything fits perfectly in with the repentant mood of Rogue.

The King collects the beads, sends the guard and Rogue up the stairs. The King regards the handiwork of his father. This cell and magic detection devices. They were useful, just as designed. Able to detect someone's internal nature. The King turns off the magic lighting and turns to head up to the throne room.

In the dark before going up the stairs, he slumps briefly.