That Horrible and Tragic Day

The King of the Central Kingdom rides inside a specially prepared carriage towards the Annovae Kingdom. The interior is roomy enough for twelve. Built hidden inside are many clever devices introduced by previous Kings of Annovae. Detection tools for magic and personality types.

Two experienced men drive the carriage from the front.

The King is not happy to be heading to Annovae. He really dislikes this part of the kingdom. You can see the solid rock-wall mountains from here.

In four meetings this morning, they had informed the King of unusual events. The Annovae kingdom, the society to protect, the unusual state of vacancy on that side of the seven kingdoms, and undefined threats by a magic user. Even a report of a doppelgänger of the King of Annovae that drove the carriage of Princess Yva.

It was equally amusing and annoying, how the royal staff had adopted a demeanor of expectancy. What was the King going to do about it?

Burdens do often lie on those with authority.

Being on this side of the seven kingdoms brings back bad memories. Memories of that horrible and tragic day.

My father was still king, my first wife was still alive, and my son was just learning good reading skills. Some eleven years ago.

A kinswoman, Lady Violet, had exhibited magical ability. She would train at the Magical Academy. I rode a fine war horse. She rode a young pony equipped with demure saddle gear (holding her legs on one side).

My father had set a simple task. Escort Lady Violet around the seven kingdoms. Show her more fully what her home is before she goes away. Before she goes away to see the world (following the bold tales of other mages from all ends).

She and I could hold comfortable conversations.

It allowed her to ask on that day. "Does my magical nature hurt my chances for a good marriage?"

I, of course, thought it would only be an asset, telling her "A young intelligent Lady of noble birth that also has passed the academy entrance tests. I think you will have your pick!"

I could tell it had worried her because she relaxed and smiled.

She likely had been told to keep her magic talents secret. Only in passing the academy tests, was her ability even mentioned.

We rode on a clear day in the area between the Annovae Kingdom and my uncle's Dominus Kingdom.

My uncle, a man death did not take soon enough.

He was one of the noble warriors. A were being of wolfish bearing, but giant and fierce. He wore war armor with magic runes in the war gloves. Magic to keep his thoughts focused.

On the day that an army came through the narrow pass in the rock-wall mountain; my uncle became famous and his success allowed a keep to become the Kingdom Dominus.

Men at arms from the other of our kingdoms lined along our side of the clearing. My uncle gave orders "Do not leave this line and keep any aerial creatures away from above your line!"

The invading army was still mostly in the pass, but several hundred invaders were guarding it.

My uncle killed them all. Standing sometimes thirty feet tall, his armored hands adding weight to destructive blows. His helmet keeping away annoying strikes. He kept completely in control and routed the invaders back atop themselves. Their bones still can be seen in the deeper parts of the pass.

A well known and great battle from before I was born.

There, with Lady Violet, the first sign of trouble was a carriage. My uncle's men driving a carriage that held the massive armor of my uncle.

I should have known, then. Taken action, then.

The pony carrying Lady Violet bolted away. My war horse was unsettled as well. I got the trained war horse going, but a pony is often quicker.

As the pony with Lady Violet went over a rise, I glimpsed a large blur. Then that entirely sickening sound of pony and rider in panic. A sound cut mostly short.

As I came over the rise, there was my uncle. Eating and clawing in madness. Not seeing any difference from horse and rider. Lady Violet's feet strapped onto the horse saddle (a secure place for the feet to aid in balance, so someone does not see a lady rider as inelegant).

I rammed my uncle in the side with my war horse. He fell away and transformed back to human. His men in the carriage collected him.

Royal mages appeared quickly and transported Lady Violet back to the Central Kingdom. It was a terrible sight. I dispatched the fatally wounded pony.

I hoped Lady Violet might get the gift of memory loss. Large deep scratches and a deep bite on her side. You would not want to remember that. I do not want to remember seeing it.

Her condition very complicated, even for magic. My uncle wanted to make things right, but his ideas were insane. The wolf side had locked onto her as prey (wounded prey). The 'protection' was likely based in keeping other predators away.

I will let myself think it. It is good that he died when he did (some ten years ago). He suffered a brain problem. He could have transformed to wolf and back. That would have cured him. He did not transform. He died, leaving Castle Dominus a vacant keep.

I should try to calm myself. I will arrive at Castle Annovae soon.

  I will arrive at Castle Annovae soon