A Day Off

The team was free for the day. They could do whatever they wanted to do.

"What shall we do today?" Cathy asked the group.

Jack sat up.

"Skee-ball."

📎📎📎

"Seriously," Cathy laughed as she watched Jack and Riley play skee-ball, "is that what he's really addicted too?"

"Pretty much." Bozer laughed.

"That's all he does when we come here." Mac smiled.

"Bet I could beat you at skee -ball." Cathy smiled.

"Is that a challenge?" Mac smiled and followed Cathy to a skee-ball machine.

"Pretty much." Cathy smiled and inserted tokens into both of the machines. Then, the games began.

📎📎📎

"Yeah!" Cathy cheered as she pulled out her tickets. "Mac, who won?" Cathy smiled.

Mac rolled his eyes.

"I told you I could beat you." Cathy giggled.

"I'm pretty sure Jack could beat you." Mac smiled.

"Yeah, okay." Cathy rolled her eyes.

"You two about done?" Jack asked. "I'm ready to head on home."

"Really?" Cathy raised a brow, "I thought you loved this place."

"I do," Jack laughed, "I'm just a bit tired."

"Ok." Cathy sighed. "Let's go old man." Cathy patted Jacks shoulder as she walked past him.

📎📎📎

"Mac?" Cathy walked out onto the deck, "What are you doing out here? Everyone's inside."

"I know." Mac continued to look out towards the city.

"What are you doing out here though?" Cathy walked up next to Mac.

"Just thinking." Mac said.

"About what exactly?" Cathy asked.

"About you." Mac thought.

"Work." Mac said out loud.

"Why are you thinking about work." Cathy laughed. "We got a free day today."

"It's what I always do." Mac replied.

"Oh." Cathy looked out at the city.

The two of them stood there in silence, until Cathy spoke up.

"Mac," Cathy seemed to be a little nervous, "this is going to be a weird question."

"Ask anyway." Mac smiled.

Cathy let out a small laugh.

"Would you do anything to protect anyone?"

"Of course." Mac looked at Cathy.

"Even if it was me?" Cathy looked at Mac.

"Yes." Mac replied. "I would do anything to keep you and everyone else safe."

Cathy walked up to Mac and hugged him. Then she let go of him and walked inside.

📎📎📎

"Hey." Mac heard Jack walk up behind him. "I thought you might be out here."

"Cathy go home?" Mac asked.

"Yeah." Jack replied.

"Cathy asked something." Mac moved some hair out of his eyes. "She asked me, if I would do anything to protect anyone. Even if it was just her." Mac sighed. "It's almost as if she thinks I won't."

"Maybe she just wanted to make sure you would protect anyone." Jack said.

Mac's phone began to ring.

"Hello?" Mac answered.

"Is this MacGyver?" A woman asked.

"Yes." Mac replied.

"This is Gabby, Cathy's Friend, you better head on down to her house. Something happened."

Mac hung up the phone and ran to his car.

"Jack, either get in or I'm going without you." Mac said as he started the car. Jack quickly jumped in, and the two drove to Cathy's house.

📎📎📎

The police and ambulance were at Cathy's house.

Mac and Jack got out of the car and walked towards Cathy's house.

"What happened?" Mac asked an officer.

"A man came into the woman's house repeating 'I won't stop until I have you in my arms', drew a weapon on the girl, but she defended herself and shot the man. He's dead."

"Where's Cathy?" Jack asked.

"She's over there." The officer pointed towards an ambulance. Cathy was sitting there with a shock blanket around her shoulders.

Mac and Jack walked over to the girl.

"Cathy, are you alright?" Mac asked.

Cathy's skin was somewhat pale. Her eyes were glassy. She slowly looked up at Mac.

"No." Cathy said. "Danny had something to do with this, I know it." Cathy wiped away a few tears. "I can't live here anymore, I need to find somewhere else to live."

"How about this," Jack started, "you stay at Macs place until you find somewhere else to live. That way, you're safe."

"But-" Cathy started.

"No buts, it's just until you can find somewhere else to live. It's like protective custody. But maybe a little bit better." Jack smiled.

"Alright." Cathy stood up and slowly walked to Mac's car. Then, she got in and closed the door.

"Mac, sit in the back with Cathy. I'll drive." Jack and Mac walked towards the car.

📎📎📎

12:45 a.m.

"Cathy?" Mac looked into the room and saw that Cathy was still awake. "Are you alright?"

"I-I can't s-sleep." Cathy stuttered.

Mac walked over to Cathy's bedside and motioned for her to move over.

"Mac, what are you doing?" Cathy said as Mac sat next to her.

"I'm just helping," Mac smiled.

Cathy smiled and yawned.

"See, told ya I was helping." Mac laughed slightly.

Cathy giggled and laid her head down on Macs shoulder. Soon, she was fast asleep.

Mac sighed. He watched Cathy sleep. She looked so peaceful, so perfect, so beautiful. He didn't want anyone to hurt her. Mac promised he would do anything to protect anyone. Even Cathy.

"I'll keep you safe," Mac whispered to Cathy, "I promise."