Safe and Sound - 13.1

Jace's POV

It was the girl that I saved. I can't say I'm surprised that I am seeing her again, but I am surprised of the location. I cannot fathom the idocy of Elizabeth for sending the young wolf girl towards the castle.

I can tell now that there has been a strong protective spell placed upon her, masking her scent and making her almost undetectable as a wolf, but I recognized her right away. No longer did she look exhausted and beaten. She had healed quite nicly considering the condition I had found her in last time. No longer did she seem quite as straggly as I had once described. She almost looked... strong, and her once blood drenched hair was bright and well tended. She was still very young looking, but mature, I sure she has had to grow up fast. Too fast.

I still feel the same sympathy for her as I did in the square, and now again I fear for her life. Since my father had arrived back home, I do not know if we would be able to leave the castle without reason, meaning she would not be able to leave undetected. Her scent is still faint, but the protective spell will wear thin soon, and unfortunately, my father is not only a ruthless King, but a very powerful vampire. He may be able to sense her already.

Flynn was currently standing against the door, and I could tell from the look on his face, he was trying very hard to listen to all that was going on in the castle. Annabelle stood beside me, gripping my arm in fear and the young wolf stood in front of me, and for the first time, looking shocked. I could tell she was not prepared for this scenario.

"Jace," said a soft voice beside me, "what can we do?" This pushed me into motion, but I was honestly dumbstruck at this whole situation.

"Jace, if you may, I think I may have a solution."

Sometimes I took my dear cousin for granted. In this moment, thank god for Flynn. I nodded, urging him to go on.

"Well, your father is scheduled to leave again on Monday to do the other half of the kingdom, which is only in 4 days, so we only have to conceal her till then. I know your father will sense she is here, so the simple solution is we pretend that Rose here has been... placed in my care. It would make sense that I would want a companion, especially a werewolf, since I am a castle messenger and tracker, her skills would be useful. I also was the one who brought you Annabelle, so it would not be out of character. I think it may be a smart, and our only solution."

I looked at Flynn. I really do take him for granted. "Flynn, you're a genius." At which he just smirked. It took me only a moment for something else to occur to me. "Rose, would this plan be okay with you?"

She looked taken aback. It was obvious that she never expected to be asked for her opinion on the plan, she was after all young, and a werewolf, and I was the prince. This is actually what I had hoped for, for some reason, I want her to trust me, and I believe that since she already had the faith that she would be able to convince me to go to Elizabeth with her, this would seal the deal.

With a quick, nervous look, she glanced back at Flynn, who was doing his best to not look intimidating. He smiled at her and she blushed. She turned back to me and Annabelle and nodded letting out a small squeak of "It's fine with me."

I smiled. "Well then, perfect, why don't you and Flynn head back to his quarters and rest for the upcoming day. You will have to be introduced to the King and Queen, my parents, tomorrow, and if that goes well, it will be smooth sailing and we will be off as soon as my father is far enough from the castle."

Flynn went to move towards her, being careful not to get too close, "Let's go sweetheart, if you grasp my hand we'll move through the hallway quickly and not chance bumping into anyone, it will be safer that way."

I saw her cheeks grow an even darker shade of red, which contrasted her pale skin as she nodded and hesitantly placed her hand into Flynn's. In an instant they were gone. I trusted my cousin, he would keep her safe.

I glanced down at Annabelle, who eyes wide was still gripping my arm in that same, would be bone crushing clasp, if I wasn't a vampire that is. She looked up at me, and almost as if letting out a full body sigh, her whole body relaxed and her eyes softened. "Well that was a whole ordeal wasn't it?" She said smiling.

I chuckled, my deep voice ringing throughout the room. "Yes it was. It's late, we should get to bed, I do have to deal with all that in the morning."

The worry returned back to her eyes for a brief moment. "She will be okay? Rose, I mean."

I smiled, trying not to show my own worry. "We all will be okay."

"Promise?"

Not wanting to make a promise I couldn't keep, but wanting to wipe that worried look off her face, I gently took my hands and grasped her face, "everything will be okay, Annabelle." Not exactly a promise, but I could see her body once again relax.

"Okay".

......

In the next few minutes Annabelle had changed into more comfortable pajamas and was curled under the covers. I, not bothering to change, turned off the lights and laid down beside her, on top of the sheets. She must have been tired because after about 10 minutes of me stroking her hair, she was gently snoring.

I didn't want to leave her, but it had been quite a few hours since I had a proper, 'meal', and after all that, I sure needed one.

Quietly as possible, which was near dead silent, I slipped out of the room and towards the kitchens where the blood bags were kept. Soon I had prepared a glass and was sitting by a normal window in the kitchen, one where the sun would shine through during the day, and basked in the light of the moon.

Looking up at the moon I felt a sense of calm, but I knew that due to the realizations of the past few weeks, and of the awareness I had gained in the past hour, that my part in the war was just beginning. A war I had thought was over.

.........

EDITED

I WOULD SAY 2018 IS GOING BETTER BUT TRUMP IS STILL A MORON..

So anyways, hi <3 How are you all? ...Maybe everyone should move to Canada so that we can all be safe.

Let's just focus on this book's war, probably safer for all of us.

Comment, Like, Follow!! (I actually have 99 followers now and that's kind of exciting that 99 people want to kind of know what's up)

- K