Two Ghosts - 17.3

Annabelle's POV

Comprehending what had just happened was more difficult than I thought it would be. Once the adrenaline wore off, I was left wondering what happened, and why it had happened.

I walked out of the room alone and found myself leaning against the wall in the hallway. Just taking deep breaths. Trying to keep steady, trying to keep upwards.

I had left the six of them still in there with the... bodies. I felt guilty I couldn't do more for Jennifer and I was sad that Sammy had gotten hurt. He was just a child. This wasn't something that he should have to go through. This wasn't something that I was prepared for.

I was left in the hallway for a while, slowly regaining control.

Elizabeth walked out of the room and she paused for a second, looking hesitantly at me. "Annabelle, I need to speak to you, can you please come with me." I only had the energy to nod. I raised myself off the wall.

She started walking down the hallway and I trailed behind her, slowly regaining my breathing as I began to move again. We arrived outside of what appeared to be her office.

She opened the door, motioning for me to take a seat on the couch in the corner. I complied and she closed the door behind us. This may have made me nervous with some, but I trusted Elizabeth.

Elizabeth locked the door and came to sit beside me on the couch. My hands were folded in my lap as I focused on breathing. I felt my dress beneath my fingers, just trying to feel something to remain calm.

I barely felt Elizabeth sit next to me on the couch. She reached out and placed her hands over the top of mine. "Annabelle, what happened back there?"

I paused. Was she scolding me, because I couldn't do more for Jennifer, because I wasn't able to save her?

"I'm sorry," I said, my head hanging. I wasn't sure exactly what I was apologizing for, but I was sorry.

Elizabeth shook her head, "No Annabelle, with your face. When you were with Jennifer, it changed. It changed into the face of another woman. Then Jennifer called you Nina. What was that?" She spoke quickly and quietly.

My head shot up, "what are you talking about?" Confusion washed over me. My face changed? I didn't feel like I shifted, and anyway I can only shift into animals, not other people. This is my only human form. Each Shifter has one human form and can take the form of many animals, once we learn how and know what we are shifting into. But only one human form.

"Annabelle, you took another human form. I think it was Jennifer's lover."

"That's not possible! I can't take human forms and I don't even know Nina, how would I know what she looked like?"

Elizabeth looked scared. "Can you tell me exactly what you thought happened."

I nodded, recollecting my thoughts. "Well when I went over to Jennifer and realized that no one else was coming to help, I apologized to her and cupped her head just like she was cupping mine. Then she started sharing memories with me. I could feel something wash over me when she did. It was her and who I assumed was Nina, because she said Nina's name. Then she was gone, I could feel it and the memories were gone."

Elizabeth released my hand, she looked shocked and confused, just how I was feeling. "Annabelle, Wood Fairies can't share their memories. Only Witches can manipulate memories. There own and others."

She started to mumble to herself... "The dress, the face, it has to make sense."

"Annabelle, do you have any idea who your parents are?"