A Drop in The Ocean - 17.4

Jace's POV

The two dead bodies lay on the floor at my feet. Their necks snapped. We would burn the bodies along with the rest of them. Vampire's bodies should be burned after killing them. It saves any chance of them coming back.

I had thought killing Vampires would feel wrong, but I did not feel any sympathy at all for killing these men. They did not deserve sympathy.

My heart did hurt thinking of the war that was brewing. Most of us had been through one before and we can all confirm it was brutal. It was useless hoping for another path but I could not help it at this moment.

My mind had been easily swayed and my father, Ezekial, is the greedy bastard that started the first war. However, not everyone has an Annabelle to change their minds.

I know this won't be changed by words. This will have to end in blood. My fathers, or mine.

I guess I didn't even notice Annabelle leave the room, because when I looked around for her, to comfort her, or for her to comfort me (I wasn't sure which), I couldn't see her. With all of this blood around me, I couldn't smell her.

"She is with Elizabeth, Jace, it is okay," Franklin spoke calmly, as if to a spooked animal.

Before I knew it, I was swinging open Elizabeth's office door revealing Annabelle and Elizabeth having a very serious conversation. A conversation that they did not look like they were going to readily share. Before I knew it, I was cradling a sobbing girl in my arms and trying to decipher what Annabelle and Elizabeth had been talking about.

I know it has something to do with the reason Elizabeth is suddenly leaving, I am not an idiot, I can tell when someone is trying to deceive me, it was something I was trained for. Despite how horrible my father is, he wanted me prepared. Prepared to fight beside him, or more likely, for him. To be smart in battle and wits.

Once in our room, I sat Annabelle and myself on the bed. I hoped she would be honest with me, "Can you tell me what's wrong? I know what happened was a lot but you need to talk about it."

She shook her head and continued to cry. I sighed in frustration. There was no way I was getting her to tell me anything tonight. It upset me that she wasn't going to confide in me. I thought she trusted me... however, I would not let this ruin us. We are stronger than this. If she needs me to be there for her in other ways tonight, I will help her in whatever way I can.

"Okay, can I run you a bath then?"

"Yes." She croaked. It broke my heart to see her struggling.

I nodded, happier with having something to do.

I ran her a bath while she sat on the bathroom counter, her head hung low. I tried to ignore the fact she was sitting in just her underwear. She was beautiful in every state of despair.

"It's going to be okay Annabelle." I did not know if it was true.

"Ok," she said sadly. She didn't believe me.

I helped her off the counter and into the bath. She leaned into the water.

I slid down on the floor beside the bathtub. I did not know when things were going to be okay again. When things could be normal. But when had things ever been normal with us before? Maybe this was our normal.

She fell asleep in the bath. I made sure her hair was washed and she was smelling like herself, not of the horrors she just witnessed. I was careful to keep her modesty. Despite my deepest desires for her, this was not the time.