Girls Like You - 14

Annabelle's POV

I woke up the next morning, my body feeling refreshed but my mind so tense I feel as though I haven't slept in years. Since Jace told me that we were going to talk to the woman, Elizabeth, the little safety net I have created for myself here has completely fallen apart.

Don't get me wrong, the fact that Jace wants to... join the revolution, is some of the best news I have ever heard. It feels amazing that I will be able to finally do something about this situation I am in. Although, honestly, I don't hate it. I am more comfortable than I have ever been in my life.

I do miss my family, but I realize now that they haven't really been my family for a long time. There could have been ways of getting around starving me, beating me, they could've at least reminded me they loved me in some way. Here, I am not beaten, I am fed until I am full, and despite what I could have ever imagined, I am shown love. Jace gives me presents, keeps me warm, and tells me about his day, and listens to what I have to say, even though I don't say much. I may be his property, but it really doesn't feel like that anymore.

I lay still, I lay in the cocoon I have created around me. As soon as I move, I will have to face the fact that all that might change and Jace and I face the biggest obstacle that has come at us yet.

I know were not leaving for a few days, the King's arrival determined that, but I know that Jace will want to get out of here as soon as we can. Jace and Flynn could technically come and go as they please, but bringing Rose and I with them would raise too many suspicions, even I know that.

I slowly start to rise from the bed and at that moment Jace makes his presence known by emerging from the bathroom, looking fresh as ever. He has to look sharp, as I know he will want to put on a good front for his father today.

He smiles nervously at me as he makes his way over to the bed. I move to the edge and swing my legs off of the side. Jace steps towards me so my legs are trapped in between his and he places his forehead against mine and sighs. "I really don't know the best way to go about this, Kitten. I really hope it goes well with Rose and Flynn because if it doesn't, if we get found out, I am not sure we will get another chance."

I smile sadly, knowing that for once, I have to be the one to put on a brave face. Jace doesn't let anyone know it, but after being with him almost every night for the past few months, I am unsure if he hides it well from anyone, or if everyone can tell. Jace is terrified of his father.

"It's going to be okay Jace, it will work."

He grins at me, leaning backwards and running his hand through his slicked back hair. "I really hope you're right, Annabelle." Just then I saw his eyes light up. "Would you go with me? Come down for breakfast instead of having someone bring it up to you?"

Confused I narrowed my eyes, "But Jace, your father..."

"I know, I know, but he never comes into the kitchen, and it would make sense to have you out of the room again, and then the other staff members and others in the castle will not find as strange if I take you with me out of the castle again. If they see you out with me, maybe they will not find it odd. We can also intercept Rose and Flynn and see how it went with my father!"

Seeing many flaws in the plan I flinched at the idea of heading downstairs, but decided that Jace probably knew better than I, and if we didn't see his father than there was actually no harm at all. Also the way his eyes lit up when he said he wanted me to come down to breakfast with him made my heart flutter.

"Okay I'll get changed." I said while hopping down, off the bed and making my way towards the closet.

Once I had gone to the bathroom to brush my hair, do my business and had changed into acceptable clothing, I moved quickly back to the bedroom and almost collided with an anxious looking Jace standing right beside the bathroom door.