I will follow you into the dark - 17.2

Annabelle's POV

My ears were still ringing as I regained awareness. There were smoke and bits of wall everywhere. A side of the wall was blown to bits, leaving a gaping hole. Jace was holding me up against his chest tightly, keeping us both upright. He seemed to be in a bit of a daze himself.

"After them!" screamed Elizabeth from beside me, seemingly at no one in particular. I was unsure of who we were after, but vampires did have better eyesight than most. I wonder if she could see them.

I spun away from the destruction. Jace's eyes were closed tightly. I shook him, "Jace! Are you okay?"

"Blood," he said weakly. I froze. I could smell it too, which meant there was a lot of it. I had gotten injured in front of Jace before and he was fine, but I have animal in me. My blood isn't nearly as fresh as a human, or even a witch or a fairy.

Everything seemed to go in slow motion as another explosion went off, sending more people to the ground. I could hear Rose scream.

I turned to panic but saw her trying to hold back Flynn who was struggling with all of the fresh blood around him.

"Jace... JACE." I screamed. He opened his eyes, almost painfully, he was no longer breathing as he looked down at me. "You have to get Flynn." The pain in his eyes was evident but he nodded.

He was gone in a blur and so was Flynn. Rose was on the floor panting. Elizabeth gained her composure from the second explosion. "Rose, Stanley! Go with Flynn and Jace, and track down whoever has done this." Stanley stood tall next to Rose, grabbing her forearm. They took a moment and then nodded at each other.

The two of them shifted and they left through the hole in the wall just as Jace and Flynn had.

"Anna! Help me over here!" Elizabeth said, running to the people who were still on the ground.

I sprinted over to where a woman was lying on her back, unconscious, and surrounded by her blood. I kneeled beside her.

I inhaled sharply. It was bad. She had shrapnel sticking out of her chest and half of her face. I screamed, "we need a witch over here!"

Seconds passed.

"Help!" but no one was coming. Everyone was either injured themselves or dealing with others. I wanted to scream again. I wasn't sure whether to take out the shrapnel or leave it in. The woman lying on the ground opened her eyes and her hand went to cup my face. Before I could scream for help again, she shook her head.

My eyes filled with tears, it was Jennifer, the wood fairy who had lost her love. I placed my hand over hers and my other one over her heart, trying to avoid any injuries I could. I wished in the moment that I was a witch, a fairy, anyone who could help in this situation. But I was just a girl who could turn into cute animals. No use at all in a situation like this.

"I'm so sorry," I whispered, moving my hand from hers and placing it on the side of her face.

The moment I placed my hand on her temple, the strangest sensation came over me and I saw a vision of Jennifer and her love in a happier time, in a happier place.

I smiled, she was sharing her memories with me. I didn't know fairies could do that.

Jennifer gasped, looking at me in shock, "Nina! You're here! I love you so much. I've missed you." I smiled at her sadly as her eyes glazed over.

The sensation left. She was gone.

I closed her eyes for her, sniffing.

"How did you do that?"