Centuries - 14.2

Flynn's POV

I can't believe her. I told her to just not speak, I would state her name, her age. I would say everything and she would be safe. She was so unlike Annabelle. Annabelle was soft spoken; she wouldn't have said anything to anger the king. Although I am mad, I cannot bring myself for being mad at Rose, for being so unlike Annabelle.

Annabelle is a wonderful girl, full of kindness and unwavering, unchanging love. I had gotten so used to Annabelle, her mannerisms, the way she acted. I almost assumed that Rose would act in the same way, since they had both been abused since the war ended, but Rose is different. Rose is fierce, and no matter what, she is a fighter.

A defeated looking fighter at the moment, as she lay on the ground whimpering next to Annabelle, who although has morphed into a wolf, as to keep Rose company, she still cannot communicate with Rose, and she still can shift back. Rose really is trapped.

If Rose was with her kind, this, although still cruel, wouldn't seem so bad, because at least werewolves can communicate with each other when in wolf form. Annabelle is a shifter, and although she is in a wolf form, she cannot communicate with Rose. It will only be a few days, the king is leaving in two days, and then we will be safe to make our journey. Till then, I guess Rose will have to deal.

"Flynn, when will we get to leave?" said Jace, who was looking sadly down at the two girls cuddled up on the kitchen floor.

"Two days, we will leave as soon as we can. Be prepared to go right away, from what you've told me about Elizabeth, I am sure she will have a witch who can reverse the spell right away." I said, catching Rose's eye. Although we couldn't understand her, she could at least still understand us.

Jace sighed. "Okay... okay, we just have to stick to the plan I guess. Flynn, could you please bring Annabelle back up to our room, I still have a meeting with my father I have to go attend."

I nodded.

Jace got down on the floor and looked into Annabelle's eye with such tenderness I feel the need to look away. "Annabelle, I will be up before dinner tonight, as long as everything goes well."

Before I knew it a small girl in a white dress was clinging to Jace's neck on the floor. It always shocked me how fast that girl shifted, and how the dress was on her every time. I wonder if she knows that it is not normal.

"Everything will be okay," Annabelle whispered to Jace, strength in her voice. "I know it will."

He nodded. I know he needed that. It is interesting how she has become the strong one in this relationship they have. She is putting on a brave face for him, we all know he is terrified of his father. For fair reason too.

After their embrace, Jace walked out of the kitchen, pausing by Paval, who placed a hand on Jace's shoulder, giving him a somber look. Then Jace was gone. I look back to the girls and once again Annabelle had shifted back to a wolf, nudging Rose who was still laying on the floor. A few more nudges at Rose's shoulder from Annabelle, and Rose slowly got up on all fours and looked at me expectantly. I sighed, still upset at how this morning went and nodded my head for the two girls to follow me.

Once we reached Jace's room, Annabelle turned to Rose and licked her face lovingly before waltzing into the room, where I shut the door behind her. I know she shifted quickly as I heard the lock of the door from inside. Good. I had hoped I wouldn't have to worry about her.

I look down at Rose, whose head is hanging. I know she will follow me so I begin to walk towards my room, entering it and letting her follow in behind me.  She immediately goes to the couch in the darkest corner of my room and curls up on it, placing her head between her paws.  It will be easier for her if she can just sleep or relax for a while. I can imagine how upset she is, and probably a little humiliated as well.

I'm just glad that as soon the King ordered her to shift, she didn't try to attack anyone in wolf form. It is well known that weres are much more powerful in their wolf form, and they could have a much easier time taking on an adult vampire. She knew she didn't stand a chance in that room though, if she had tried to attack any vampire, there would be forty more down the hallway ready to rip her head off. Weres are also pack creatures, so ether way she would have a much easier time with her pack.

I wonder if she used to have a pack, and what happened to it. I'm sure she did at one point, although she is still young, she was alive before the wars began. I wonder what it was like, to have a family like that.

I have heard about packs and how they used to operate. Unfortunately, this job of travel that I have managed to obtain in the castle rankings was given to me during the war. I never got to see the peace, the serenity, and the beauty of how other supernatural beings governed themselves. Vampires, have always been more solidary creatures. Time in the spotlight has created kingdoms for vampires all over the world, but there is still very little regulation for vampires from their kings. It's everyone else they like to regulate. Werewolves were very different. Even in times when humans ruled, they lived in packs, sometimes even letting humans know what they were, who they were.

Werewolves have never had to feed off humans the ways vampires have to. So they could make themselves semi-known. Vampires on the other hand, needed to be very well hidden. I do know that when the supernatural creatures took over from the humans, there had been a surge of more vampires and a surge of feeding. Vampires thrived.

Some of those vampires are still around today, and they call those early years the glory days, before werewolves, shifters and the other supernatural creatures regulated the humans. Many of the other supernatural creatures still wanted humans to live free, but vampires obviously treated them the way the humans had treated cattle, and with the surge in vampires, our numbers grew.

People like to say there was peace before the great war a few years back, but there wasn't. Everyone was still fighting for power. There were just different governing bodies that managed to ignore each other for a large number of years. There wasn't a solidary governing body, no council, no peace.

I fear that there will never be peace, and looking down at Rose, I fear it will be hopeless.

I hear whimpering from the corner and I know Rose is crying. It's strange for me to see her crying in her wolf form. It sounds so animal but so human at the same time. Knowing I couldn't watch her suffer like this, I walk over to her slowly and sit down beside her, feeling her body stiffen on the couch. I shift closer to her, waiting for her to growl at me but it never comes. Her body relaxes and the whimpers continue.

I am almost happy she is going to accept my comfort, but I don't think anyone could be happy during this situation. Feeling more assured, I gently pick up her giant wolf form easily and quickly move her to the bed, placing her in the centre.

When I am sure she is comfortable, I use my vampire speed to change in a matter of seconds and then I get into the bed beside her. Lying beside her, I cuddle up stroking the fur on her head as she cries. I feel her shift closer to me, appreciating the comfort. I feel it was in that moment she first moved towards me, that I vowed in my heart I would protect this girl. If I could do anything about it, she would be avenged. She would be safe, and then she would be free.

.....

EDITED

What did you think??

BIG THINGS COMING NEXT CHAPTER!! BE READY FOR ACTION!

Flynn - because he is gorgeous

Comment, Vote Follow

- Kayla