Chapter 20

Chapter 20 – Ann’s POV

*****

The warm summer breeze blew my hair, making it danced around my face as I made my way to the garden. Walking slowly with timid steps I walked down the steps of the back porch to the dark silhouette waiting for me in the garden.  Its figure stood firm with broad shoulders, its hair blowing slightly while looking at nothing in particular.

The guardian of my heart, Liam.

Liam turned at the sound footsteps and smile broadly at me, my heart instantly skipped a beat. His hair was blown by the wind but it just made him look much more unreal, I couldn’t see his eyes in the dim light but I did see that they’re gazing intently at me as I made my way towards him. “Glad you came.”

“Wouldn’t miss it for anything,” I smiled at him.

“You look nice,” he complimented. I was wearing a faded blue skinny jean, a sheer blouse with camisole and flats. My blonde hair was loose and free. “I hate it that I don’t get to see you every day.”

“Thanks,” I smile at him. “Well, it’ll be around for the next couple of weeks and there’s nothing you can do about it.”

Liam pulled me into his arms and I laid my hands on his chest. He looked just as handsome as I remembered him the first time we met, perhaps more handsome in the moonlight. “I have no problem with that.” He lays his forehead on mine and one of his hands caresses my face. “Come here, I want to show you something,” he held my hand and led me to the only tree in the backyard.

I look at him, perplexed. “You’re showing me a tree…?”

He chuckles and gestured to the tree bark. “What do you see?”

“I see a dark, rough and plain tree bark. The ones you can find on…well, any tree.”

Liam smirks. “Not anymore.” He pulled out something from the back of his pocket and flicked at it, making it longer before starting to scratch the tree bark with it. It’s a knife.

“What do you think you’re doing?!” I shrieked.

He chuckled. “Don’t worry, Angel. I’m not doing anything illegal; I’m just carving our name into the tree.” Awwh, my head cooed. That was very sweet of him. “Now, what’s your middle name?”

My rational mind took over. “Wait, this is Niall’s house. You can’t just do that, he-”

“Niall won’t mind,” Liam’s looking at me expectantly. “Name? Or initial at least?”

“T.” I huff a breath, “If we’re gonna make Niall chew us out, might as well go all the way through. You better make it look nice.” I leaned against the side of the tree with an amused smile while Liam continued to carve the tree with our names.

“Oh, don’t worry. I plan on it.”

A few minutes later, I’m leaning against his broad chest with his arms around my waist and his head leaning against mine while looking at his finished handy work. There carved neatly into the bark of the tree is the proof of our relationship. A huge heart holds both of our names in it; his at the top and mine right under it. I’ve never seen something so beautiful. It is cliché, I’ll admit but I have a soft spot for things like this.

            “This is so beautiful; no one’s ever done things like this for me.” I turned my head to look into his warm brown eyes, “Thank you.”