Chapter 28

Chapter 28 – Clover’s POV

            I run my hands up and down my shivering arms, hoping to gain some warmth back. It’s a bit chilly tonight even considering that several candles are place all around me. Niall had planned a romantic picnic for us at the edge of the pier and I’m touch at the efforts he’s making. “Cold, princess?” Niall asks, already taking off his green hoodie.

            “Yeah, I left my jacket in my tent,” I say as he drapes them around me but instead of withdrawing his arms, it remains over my shoulder and pulls me closer to him. “I’m not that cold, you know,” I say but I lay my head on his chest.

His hand starts playing with my hair, “I know, I just want to hold you in my arms.”

I close my eyes and sigh contently. For the first time in a very long time, I’ve never feel so happy and safe in another’s arm. Always having your guard up and never trusting anyone because I don’t want to get hurt. It’s nice to be cared for once in a while. However, the peace and quiet is quickly shattered with the sound of crunching. I laugh and open my eyes to look at Niall – he continues to eat the chips again.

“What?” he asks with a mouthful of chips.

Usually I’d get disgusted by that, but… “You look cute, you know that right?”

He shrugs and smiles cheekily, “Do you like ‘cute’?”

“Very.” I reach up and kiss his cheek.

We are interrupted by a series of footsteps walking down the pier. At first we only see shadows and the quickly the image of Liam and Ann emerge. They greet us and Liam takes a seat next to Niall, pulling Ann on his lap to her obvious dismay. She’s not the one for PDA and the blush on her cheek confirms it. Liam either doesn’t notice or pretend not to. These two are just getting cuter and cuter!

“Sorry, if we’re interrupting anything,” Liam smiles politely.

Grabbing another chip, Niall says, “Don’t worry about that, Harry and Rose already beat you guys to it.” Liam try to grab on a chip himself only to have Niall slapping his hand away and shot a warning glare his way.

Ann tilts her head in confusion. “Oh? What were they doing?”

“They went on a boat ride, Harry has something he wants to tell our dear Rosie,” I smirk. “Could be a while.” I take a chip from Niall’s hand and put them in my mouth. He doesn’t seem to mind one bit, he just gets another one.

Her eyes widens in understanding, “He’s finally telling her?”

“Took him long enough,” Niall and Harry both say at the same time.

Just as the words left their mouth, the previously mentioned people row their rowboat next to the pier. ‘Speak of the devil and he doth appear’. Ann gets up from Liam’s lap and come to sit next to me, trying to not to smile while waiting for Rose’s reaction. In the meanwhile, her boyfriend helps to tie to boat to the post.

I turn to Niall, raising my eyebrows. “What? Liam got it,” he shrugs.

Laughing, I turn my attention back to the people on the boat. “So how was it? Do you guys have a nice ride?” I tease. That’s when I see Rose’s bewildered eyes and Harry’s hopeless expression, I don’t need anything else to tell me that something’s wrong. “Hey, what happened?” They get off of the boat and Rose quickly walks away. Sharing a look with Ann, we quickly get up on our feet and follow her.

“Rose! What’s wrong?” I yell after her.

She keeps on speed-walking from the pier to the camp and forward through the darkness, not stopping or slowing down. I’m not even sure if she knows where she’s going with only the moonlight showing her the way. I almost tripped four times just trying to catch up with her. Damn these boots! “Rose, please wait!” Ann shouts.