Chapter 23

Chapter 23 – Clover’s POV

The sun shines brightly in the middle of the sky, casting rays of light in the garden and enhancing the beauty of the blooming flowers, its sweet-smelling aroma can be smell from where I sit on the bench with Niall’s guitar on my lap. It has been exactly a week since we first got here and 4 days after the boys left for the studio. We’ve been having some bonding time, girl’s night and we’ve grown closer for the past few days. Niall’s dad and brother are great company when they’re around the house which isn’t much but it’s nice to get to know them. I’ve met Niall’s mom on our third day here when she invited me and Niall to have lunch with her which, of course, scares the hell out of me but she turns out to be a lovely lady.

Once Niall left us alone, she asks me, “How long have you two been together?”

“Not long, about earlier this summer. We bumped into each other and it sort of just pick up from there,” I chuckled nervously. “He can be quite charming when he wants to be.”

She laughs, “Oh yes, he can be like that.” After her laughter died out, she look at me with a serious but tender expression and held her hand out. I took it and she held it with both of her hands. “Clover, I’m glad Niall find someone he really likes and wants to be with. That’s rare for him even when he was little so I need you to do a favor for me. Can you do that?” she asks softly.

Taken back, I answered, “I can’t promise anything but I’ll try.”

“Oh dear, you look scared,” she observed. I let out a nervous chuckle, shrugging. “Don’t be. I just wanted to ask you to make sure he’s happy. After our divorce, he seems so lonely and I don’t want him to be. Be his companion and lover, he’s glowing when he’s with you. Don’t break his heart; you don’t know just how fragile he is. Do whatever it takes to make him happy but don’t do everything he says, make him work for it and I’m sure you guys will have the happiest time together.”

“Thank you, Mrs. Horan,” I smile at her blessing. “I’ll try.”

She gave my hand a gentle squeeze. “Take care of him, he’s a good guy.”

“I know he is.”

Remembering Niall’s mom’s words, I begin to think a lot lately and considering how I always think too much of things, that’s a lot more than what you consider as normal. Can I really do what she asks of me? I’ve been having doubts since day one but I am trying, but is that enough? And most importantly, will it lasts? These questions keep haunting me and the only way I can find out is to give it a try and I’m afraid it might be too late then. I sigh; free time isn’t good for me, thinking too much leads to a massive headache and right now, my head starts to hurt.

Positioning the guitar on my lap, I check the chords as I decide to play – it always helps me with my headache. You can say I’m a lot better with it now and manage to play some tunes of my favorite songs. Thinking of Niall, I start to sing. This is wrong but I can't help but feel like there ain't anything more out there. Misty morning comes again and I can't help but wish I could see your face.”

Visualizing his gorgeous blue eyes and beautiful smile, I sing while strumming the guitar as if I’ve been doing this forever. “And I knew from the first note played I'd be breaking all my rules to see you. You smile that beautiful smile and all the girls in the front row scream your name.”  While playing, I begin thinking how what we have is just impossible but amazing; how we kissed and when he hold me in his arms like I’m the most precious thing in the world. “So dim that spotlight, tell me things like ‘I can't take my eyes off of you’. I’m no one special, just another wide-eyed girl who's desperately in love with you. Give me a photograph to hang on my wall, superstar.”