Chapter 3

A hero is somebody who voluntarily walks into the unknown.
- Tom Hanks

Vidya was shivering in the police jeep, as they were returning to her hostel from the movie theatre .

Ajay took off his leather jacket and handed it to her and she gladly accepted it. She wrapped the jacket tightly around her shoulders taking in its warmth and his scent, which instantly calmed her and she sighed happily before slightly closing her eyes.

"You're looking like a small kitten ready to go to bed now" Ajay teased.

Feeling glad that Ajay mistook her happiness as being sleepy, she replied

"Oh yeah, it's been a really long day but still I have afternoon shift tomorrow, so at least I can wake up late" she replied with a small smile.

As they arrived however, they noticed the repair work on the main road had barricaded the usual entrance to the hostel, with the back detour being the only option left. Ajay steered the jeep to turn into a side alley way along the back of the City Hospital, leading to the side entrance of the hostel.

Ajay then slowed the jeep and furrowed his brows in confusion as he observed the scene before them. A large laundry van was parked near the back entrance to the hospital. Several wooden baskets were placed near the entrance gate.

As Ajay carefully got down from the Jeep so he made no noise, he noticed two burly men struggling to load these wooden baskets into the van.

"Is it usual for the laundry to be picked up at this hour" he whispered to Vidya.

Vidya shook her head perplexedly; "I am not sure Chiku, but anyway why should we worry about this?" she asked, before trying to return the jacket back to him as she exited the jeep

However, Ajay took no notice as he focused on the two men, one of whom was dressed in a driver's uniform.

The two men noticed Ajay and the police jeep, looked at each other with slightly wide eyes for a moment - but then continued to load as if nothing happened.

Ajay signalled to Vidya to stay where she was, and walked slowly towards them. Vidya remained silent, but wary.

"Hello!! What's happening here? Why are you doing laundry service at this hour?" he asked in his usual authoritative tone.

One of them answered sheepishly "Sir! Our van was in repair this morning so we couldn't do it then. We got a call from the hospital that these need to be picked up urgently. That's all" - the man's answer brought a collective silence, as Ajay was not convinced.

To examine the basket, Ajay offered to help carry them into the Van,  since they both seemed to be having an unusual amount of trouble doing so. But of course, both men refused help and thanked him and tried to hurry away. In the commotion, one of the basket lids came off and Ajay noticed the baskets' contents.