Chapter 62

All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, 

but what none can see

 is the strategy out of which victory is evolved. -- Sun Tzu 

Gandhi Road Police Station.

SP Kamal Chaudhary was looking at the file placed in front of him with all seriousness. He had to pretend his keen interest in the contents, for his mind was elsewhere. DIG Indrajit Saxena was seated opposite to him, while S I Sarang and newly transferred ACP Nitin Varma to the either side of him.

In spite of his disinterest, Kamal was intrigued by the new ACP Nitin Varma. 

He looked like a suave criminal rather than an honest cop, but his track record and his previous achievements as per his case history files showed him to be an exceptional police officer, who went out of his way to bring criminals to justice

In fact as per his track record he was a replica of Ajay Singh Rathore, his previous Nemesis. Kamal had been thinking hard, where Ajay would be in hiding now. His usual spying and enquiries through his team in his hometown and friends places had not revealed much. Everyone in the hometown seemed to believe that he was dead, although no former funeral has been held yet. But that could be due to police mishandling.

The body that was recovered from the accident was in such bad shape, and they couldn't match the DNA of the victim to that of Ajay yet. Kamal was not too keen to press the forensics team on this, so he just asked them to look for more evidence, and take their time in establishing that the dead person was indeed Ajay Singh Rathore. So they still haven't officially declared Ajay as dead yet.

Shutting down his thoughts about Ajay, he diverted his attention back to his boss Indrajit Saxena, who had been patiently waiting for his reaction, and was observing him quite keenly. Kamal felt extremely fidgety and irritated all of a sudden. The bloody old hawk, he cursed his boss inwardly; he had been behaving mysteriously with him since Ajay's death. 

Sometimes he almost thought that the DIG didn't believe his version of the accident at all; but most of the times, he seemed to behave normally, and condemned the accident as an unfortunate incident.

Also he couldn't understand why this new guy has been appointed here in such a hurry. He was hoping that he would be free of  nosy, duty driven colleagues, for at least few more weeks.

Shutting away his frustrations, he turned his face pleasantly towards his boss and said instead

"Sir, everything looks quite in order. In fact Mr Nitin Varma is an exemplary officer of the highest calibre as per his track record, and our station would be strengthened by his joining here. Congratulations Mr Varma!" He shook hands with Nitin cordially.