Chapter 98

Amrita reached the waiting hall outside the operation theatre to find all her friends and family in different states of waiting. Anita and Mukesh were standing in one corner, whispering to themselves worriedly, while Sonali was resting on Shyam's shoulder as he leaned it to her. Saroj was sitting exhausted, head resting back, with closed eyes while Indrajit was still pacing up and down in nervous tension. Ganesh Chand was dozing off while Vijay was checking his phone.

Ammu forced a cheerful note in her voice, and asked everyone if they want another round of coffees.

Indrajit stopped pacing and looked at her face, which was now looking calm and relaxed, and he automatically relaxed too. Saroj slowly opened her eyes and got up to reach her.

"Maasi, remind me to ask you what are all the favourite dishes of Nitin, because I am going to make a feast for him and treat him very soon. He had kept me entertained all this time.  The nurse checked that everything is fine and he is resting. But now, who wants coffees?"

Saroj and Indrajit smiled at each other, relieved to see Amrita in great spirits.

Everyone requested that they wanted coffee - and Ammu, along with Mukesh and Anita, went looking for a coffee machine

Everyone requested that they wanted coffee - and Ammu, along with Mukesh and Anita, went looking for a coffee machine. By the time they returned with coffees, everyone was waiting alertly, as the nurse just informed that Ajay's operation had just been completed.

Dr Kothari and the junior doctors came out of the theatre, and spoke directly with Indrajit and Saroj.

"Mr Saxena, your son must have been born under lucky stars or your wife's prayers must have wonder powers. The bullet has been removed successfully now and with minimal damage to the surrounding area."

Everyone gasped and cheered loudly with relief on hearing this wonderful news, and thanked the whole team wholeheartedly. Dr Kothari smiled at all of them.

"The bullet missed most of the major critical nerves, and stopped just 1cm from the carotid artery. If it had hit the artery, we would have been delivering a different news altogether. But the good news is that he is safe now, but he has been given a strong anaesthetic. His neck would be supported externally, to avoid any major movements till the soft tissues and the hard tissues align properly.

There is a slight chance of haemorrhage that may occur post operation, so we would be keeping him in ICU for another two days and under strict observation. You can see him after an hour or so, but he is not conscious. Please be patient and continue your prayers. Now, is he married?" Dr Kothari asked.

"Yes Dr Kothari, this is Amrita, his wife, and more than my prayers, it's the power of their marital bond that might have saved him." Saroj pulled Amrita from behind, and introduced her to him.

"Well Mrs Rathore, you are a lucky woman indeed, your husband is one hell of a fighter. That's all I can say now. Keep your faith, and he will whizz past the post-operative recovery too with flying colours." He gently laid his hand on Amrita before wishing everyone good night, and left with his team.