Chapter 87

"A society that has more justice is a society that needs less charity." Ralph Nader

The next day morning was quite gloomy. Dark Clouds spread over the sky and thunders were heard everywhere, and lightning struck as the Court session began.

Amrita along with Brijesh, Shyam and Sonali sat behind Rakesh Khurana and Kabir Khan while Nitin sat along with Sarang and Constable Ramesh adjacent to Kabir Khan.

Mukesh, Anita, Ganesh Chand and Vijay were sitting further back in the public gallery and were watching the proceedings with a mixture of curiosity and nervousness.

Ravi Rajan was back, donning a brave face for his client Kamal Chaudhary. Kamal was sitting with his face down and not looking at anyone.

Surprisingly, Pramod and his team of lawyers too looked downcast and nervous. Khurana and Kabir observed them but didn't understand why.

Nitin's face was smooth and reassuring as he smiled at Amrita and Shyam. Sonali smiled back at him and showed thumps up sign, but Nitin quickly averted his gaze from her, when he noticed Shyam's grumpy face.

Judge Thapar arrived and everyone rose respectfully.

Rakesh Khurana approached the Judge Chambers and re-produced the witness list again with another addition added to it.

"Your honour, I will give a brief summary of where things stand in terms of my client Vidya Mehta and the accused Kamal Chaudhary and with your kind permission, produce another witness who can give us complete evidence, that confirms what depths K...

"Your honour, I will give a brief summary of where things stand in terms of my client Vidya Mehta and the accused Kamal Chaudhary and with your kind permission, produce another witness who can give us complete evidence, that confirms what depths Kamal had finally sunk, to cover his criminal activities.

Your honour, with the help of CCTV footage, video witness from Dean Tripathi, it had been proven beyond doubt that, Vidya Mehta's murder was planned and executed in such ruthless and callous manner by Kamal and Pratap Chaudhary.

To cover up their heinous crime, they then went on to make it look like a suicide with the help of  a false post mortem report. But fortunately we have been able to produce the real report, and also show to the court how Kamal tried to destroy the CCTV footage evidence by removing the CCTV server from the Hospital premises.

When my previous client ACP Ajay Singh Rathore revealed this information to Pratap Chaudhary, Kamal shot him in cold blood and again shifted the blame on to the ACP. This we have been able to prove to the court, through our police investigating officers SI Sarang who was an eyewitness for the whole saga along with witness statement from Constable Ramesh .

Your honour, this is what we have proved to the court so far.

But things get even murkier from here. Kamal didn't just stop with framing his junior officer for the murder, because he of course knew that, once the case comes into court, he will have hard time to prove Ajay's guilt. So he actually planned to get rid of the man himself.