Chapter 33

When it comes to protecting your loved ones,

no fear is too big to overcome and

no obstacle too difficult to cross.

Ajay shaved and showered quickly and put on whatever clothes those were handy... A white shirt and Jeans.

He strode into the living room calling for Amrita, only to realise she wasn't there. And there was no sign of her purse... he looked around the balcony and the front corridor, and came back inside once he was sure that she was not there.

Perhaps she went to buy something from a shop downstairs, he wondered. He tried calling her but she wasn't picking up her mobile. He felt strange and unsettled at her behaviour, but then remembered that he too left her alone suddenly in the morning... maybe she was paying back with interest... He chuckled to himself.

As he was getting late to see Khurana, he grabbed a jacket and hurried off.

As he was driving, he got a call from Shyam.

Shyam asked anxiously "Hi Ajay! Where are you? Is Amrita there with you?"

"What happened Shyam? You sound worried!" Enquired Ajay.

Ajay stopped the car on the side of the road.

"Nothing, I just wanted to speak to you alone. So is she with you?" Shyam lied as he wasn't sure of his own suspicions yet.

"Amrita went away suddenly; I just thought she went to some shop or something. I was getting late to see Rakesh Khurana. So I am on my way there now. We were both planning to come together to your house later." Ajay replied, still not sure why Shyam was asking to speak to him alone.

"Oh! Are you  going to Khurana's place? I am very nearby. I will meet you there then." Shyam hung up, deciding to speak to Ajay face to face, rather than over the phone.

Ajay kept mulling over Shyam's words as he drove to Khurana's office.

Shyam was waiting outside as Ajay parked his car and got out.

"What's matter Shyam?" Ajay asked walking towards him.

Shyam asked him hesitatingly "Have you watched the morning news today?"

As he shook his head, a sheepish grin appeared fleetingly on Ajay's face, as he recalled his morning adventures.

"What about Amrita?" Shyam's next question got Ajay's temper up.

"Shyam what the hell is going on, first tell me that!" he fumed.

"Ok, I tried calling you earlier, but you didn't pick up my call, and neither did Amrita . The local news channel is reporting that Pratap Chaudhary is going to be transferred to a foreign hospital tonight or tomorrow. Apparently, Vikram got the clearance." He said quickly.

"What?? This can't happen, when did they show this on TV?"

"This morning around 11am, and they have been scrolling it as headline news ever since."

"We must speak to Rakesh Khurana at once, and see if it can be stopped somehow. But I really don't know how.... we haven't even named suspects in our case yet."

Rakesh Khurana came outside, accompanied by his secretary and a few other clients just then.

"Aah yes!!  Ajay, I was getting afraid I was going to miss you. I think you know the news by now.