Chapter 63

Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. 

Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. 

Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate. Sun Tzu

As promised, ACP Nitin Varma took most of the team for lunch that day at their favourite restaurant.

To their surprise, SP Kamal didn't object to their going together for lunch at all.

Nitin made sure a lavish lunch along with drinks were ordered and encouraged everyone to eat and drink. S I Sarang and Syed refrained from drinking but Satish and Veeran were ecstatic.

In between, Nitin tried to ask Sarang and Syed about Pratap's death,  but both warded off the questions, saying they reached the incident site quite late, and hence had no idea about the events. He tried his luck next with Satish and Veeran, to give more details about the accident and explosion in which Ajay was killed, but they were not intoxicated enough to reveal much to him. What he found intriguing most was that, S I Sarang and Syed were not very keen to discuss about Ajay's death either.

For Nitin, information was power

For Nitin, information was power. And he prided himself on getting information from sources at any cost, with or without their cooperation. He decided that he would need to probe more into this later, through some other means .

After lunch, Nitin and his team were back at the station. He casually glanced through the pending works laid out on his table by S I Sarang. He went into the evidence room and checked for few things, before going out again. S I Sarang couldn't make head or tail of his superior's behaviour.

In the evening, as promised, Kamal took Nitin along, to the party hosted by Singhania. After introducing various industrial magnates and high profile socialites, they made their way slowly towards Dhanraj, Secretary of Vikram Chaudhary. Just as Kamal was introducing Nitin to Dhanraj, Vikram Chaudhary's motorcade arrived with security guards. It was nearly 8pm. Everyone rushed to meet the powerful minister while Kamal and Nitin stayed back to watch the proceedings.

Vikram Chaudhary settled in a corner after briefly speaking to all the people surrounding him. His secretary Dhanraj and bodyguard Keshav were standing behind him. Kamal slowly approached Vikram and introduced his junior colleague. Vikram observed Nitin keenly and nodded his head but didn't smile.

"Sir it is an honour to meet you finally. I have heard so much about you. And I know this is not the right place or occasion, but I would still like to offer my condolences for the loss of your brother Mr Pratap Chaudhary." Nitin bowed his head slightly as he folded his hands in greeting Vikram Chaudhary.

Vikram Chaudhary became tense and angry at the mention of his brother's name by this stranger, but controlled himself.