Chapter 20

"It is our choices that show who we truly are,

far more than our abilities."

- Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter

Now that he was sure no one was following him, Ajay proceeded straight to the forensics team office, and entered the chief surgeon Dr Tiwari's room closing the door behind him.

Dr Tiwari was startled to see Ajay, but once Ajay assured him that no one knows about his presence he calmed down.

Dr Tiwari shut the blinds in the room and turned off lights just to be sure.

"So did you get the post-mortem report I sent you?" He asked quickly.

Ajay acknowledged that he did and thanked him.

"SP Kamal forced me to make a false post mortem report for Dr Vidya. He threatened me that if I didn't do it, he will harm my two children. But then I came to know that the lady was your fiancée, and I know all about you Mr Rathore. You are a good and honest man, and I couldn't see this happening to your family. That's why I left the original report at your home.

I am ashamed of myself for writing falsified reports but what can I do against these powerful people?" Tears stung in his eyes as he continued.

"And this is not the first time SP Kamal made me do this though. 6 months ago, there was another case where Pratap Chaudhary killed someone, but SP Kamal made me write in the post mortem report that the injuries were accident related. But the latest one two days ago, I think the deceased name was Protik - I am not sure why he asked me falsify his report. Protik died due to liver failure, but I was forced to report the death was due to internal injuries." He paused and wiped the sweat off his forehead slowly.

Ajay could see how much stress Dr Tiwari was under and truly appreciated his courage to come out with the truth.

"Dr Tiwari, I am forever grateful to you for giving me Vidya's original post-mortem report. Vidya was trying to expose a major organ trade racket at the Nalanda Hospital, and that's why they silenced her permanently.

When Pratap Chaudhary was shot, they immediately suspected me, thinking I was taking revenge on them. They are trying to ruin my reputation now. Using Protik's post mortem report, they accused me of beating him up and causing internal injuries. I was suspended from my job yesterday."

Dr Tiwari was outraged.

"These people are evil and to think that my report helped them in doing their evil deeds... I don't know what to think now. I am so sorry ACP Rathore. I cannot bear to think that an honest police officer like you is being victimised because of my false report. If I continue to be under their thumb, they will keep doing these atrocities. I am happy to show the real post mortem as evidence and testify against SP Kamal. But I am a family man. I need protection from these heinous criminals. If your department can assure me that, I will do my duty and expose them." He vowed.

Ajay had come prepared for a long discussion and even argument if required to convince Dr Tiwari to testify against SP Kamal. But to see that Dr Tiwari has volunteered to do so, gave him a tremendous moral boost. This, he thought to himself was the first step in achieving his goal of bringing justice to Vidya. Happy for the first time in many days, he thanked Dr Tiwari once again but warned him of difficult times ahead.

"I can't tell you how proud I am of your decision to help me. I can't win this war against these crooks without co-operation from people like you. I can only give unofficial protection for you and your family right now. But I have a plan and once that is in place, you will get official protection as well."