Chapter 17

There are plenty of ways to Die, but only love can kill

and keep you alive to feel it -- Leo Christopher.

Ajay glanced at Sonali's profile through the corner of his eye. He wondered if it was a good idea to engage her in small talk or leave her alone. They were nearing his colony archway where the accident took place.

As if she read his mind, Sonali turned her head and gave him a small smile.

"Sorry I was just lost in my own world. Where exactly did you say the accident took place?" She asked.

Ajay slowed down the jeep and pointed her to the archway. Thanks to the promptness of Constable Ramesh, the damaged vehicle had already been removed and street looked clean.

"Hmm yes, we generally take a short cut through this colony to avoid main roads during peak hour. That's why he must have been going through that and lost his control." She clarified, more as an observation to herself than explaining to Ajay.

Ajay now felt confident to engage her in more conversation.

"So have you lived here long? Do you have any other family?" He remembered her distinct accent.

She smiled ruefully.

"Me and my brother we just have each other. That's all. My parents passed away when we were very young. Our relatives did their duty in giving us shelter and education when we were young, but once we grew up and got a job, they made sure that we realise we are no longer their responsibility. We have been looking after ourselves since then. As such I am not very close to any of my relatives. I have a lot of close friends here though, as we have been living here for few years now.  I need to let them know once I reach home."

Ajay looked at her again. He saw a self-confident woman displaying such mature behaviour in such difficult time. He was truly impressed.

"I am an Orphan too but I have been lucky to be brought up by family friends who are just like a family to me." He smiled at her empathetically.

" He smiled at her empathetically

"You are indeed lucky indeed. Hmm so you are an ACP... You look too young for such a high rank officer if I may say so." She added in a lighter note.

"My boss keeps telling everyone it seems that my quick rise in position is purely due to my connections with DIG." Ajay quipped.

He was glad that his mockery brought a smile to her lips.

She looked down to her hands in her lap and again looked at him with earnest eyes, as if she was gathering courage to say something.

"You...You must be wondering why I am not crying my heart out or being terribly upset.

It may sound incredible to you if I say this, but the call your constable made to me, about my brother being in hospital, I was expecting such call would come for almost a year now." Her eyes looked teary, but she steeled herself before she continued.