Chapter 78

Zihal-e-muskeen maqun ba-ranjish, Bahaal-e-hijra bechara dil hai

Don't look at this poor heart with enmity,It (the heart) is fresh with wounds of separation.

Sunaai deti hai jisaki dhaDakanTumhara dil ya hamara dil hai

[[I can only hear but two heartbeats - yours and mine(Everything and everyone else fades into nothingness)]

Ajay's POV

As Ammu walked away briskly, I saw a defeated looking Dr Sharma and Mrs Sharma return back.

Brijesh Sir looked broken and sat down in his chair with such sadness that I didn't dare to speak to him.

"Vidya, are there taxis or buses available at this hour to go back to City?" I asked her.

"No... not really. But there is a bus in one hour if I am not mistaken." Vidya replied promptly.

"Would you mind coming with me. We will make sure Ammu has safely boarded either the Bus or Taxi." She agreed to my request and we started immediately.

I took Dr Sharma's car, parked it some distance away from the Bus stand, where we could keep an eye on Amrita as she was waiting. Once she boarded the Bus, we went back home. All during that wait, Vidya kept apologising to me on behalf of his sister.

"Vidya please, don't. Ammu knew exactly what she was saying and I am quite used to her behaviour. So please don't worry about me. I am more worried about Brijesh Sir, he looked totally broken. We must take care of him when we go back. I will be there to help you." I promised her.

"Thanks Ajay, Ammu had truly broken his heart this time. I don't know what got into her. I always thought she respected your job just like me. Trust me Ajay, I have great admiration for the kind of risks and sacrifices your department makes, just to ensure all of us remain safe. For me you are no less than a hero. And it is not the teenage kind of hero worship anymore. I truly respect you, and spirit of community service you show." Vidya said emotionally.

"Not everything is as rosy as you picture Vidya; there are lot of hardened elements in our department. As we have to deal with criminal minds and weak people every day, your own view of the society changes drastically. You too become quite cynical. I hope I don't become like that." I replied

"No Ajay. You were never like that nor can I imagine you ever becoming one. In fact you are one of the inspirations for me to take up medical profession, because I want to serve our community too. It is such a precious feeling to be in a position to help and heal someone, and I am very passionate and proud of my profession." The promise and passion in her eyes were so genuine.

I was really touched and for the first time, I looked at her with a feeling I never felt for her before.

RESPECT.

She really did believe that she could make a difference and I, of all the people, know how desperately our society needs people like her. I dropped her back at home and spent the whole day at their home.

It was at night time as I hit the bed, that my mind and heart automatically filled with thoughts of Ammu, which I have avoided till then. I thought I have become numb and hardened, but she found a new way of hurting me somehow. And this time, it hurt quite deeply. I couldn't even think which hurt most, her remarks about me being an orphan or a glorified bodyguard. I could never imagine someone who doesn't respect my profession as my partner, let alone be my friend.