Chapter 96

~~~~Parents and Elders ~~~~ 

 They are like our anchors when we are young, 

grounding us to safety, and when we grow old,

  they are like a light house upon rock, guiding us

and showing us the right way  in stormy waters. 

Anita and Mukesh went out to speak to resident doctors about Nitin and Ajay's operations. Saroj too collapsed onto one of the chairs. Shyam brought coffees for everyone and sat next to Ammu and Sonali.

Shyam looked worriedly at Ammu.

"Ammu are you ok? He will be all right, he is a fighter, and you know that right!" Shyam said encouragingly.

Amrita nodded with her welled up eyes and blinked her tears away.

"You have to keep up your courage somehow Ammu

"You have to keep up your courage somehow Ammu. I know, we all know that Ajay can stay strong only if you do." Sonali rubbed her hand over Ammu's gently.

" Please don't think I am commenting about your husband wife dynamics, but I can imagine Ammu, how upset you might be to think that Ajay had hidden all these things from you. But don't you think it was beyond his own capacity to reveal as well? It was Nitin's secret they were all guarding, not his own. And it was very important that as few people knew about it as possible. But even I was feeling terribly guilty this morning, to see you happily saying goodbye to him. That's why I called him aside, and tried to make him reveal the truth to you. But of course he cleverly shut me up, and told you only half the truth. I strongly suspect that he can never lie to your face, so that's why he hid the whole thing from you." Sonali looked apprehensively at her, and was glad when Amrita gave a tiny smile.

"Even I felt very hurt and angry when he first told me in the van the story briefly. At first I couldn't even believe that he acted all this while in front of us. I thought I always could..." Shyam paused.

"He is not just our childhood friend Ajay anymore Shyam. That Ajay was so straightforwardand easy to understand . He is ACP Ajay as well now, and I just realised that I don't know anything about that side of him." Amrita smiled ruefully at him.

  Saroj walked over gently, and lay her hand on Ammu's head and patted her gently.  

"Bahu, you are just finding it difficult to adjust to this new aspect of him, because you were familiar only with his old self before he became an officer. They change a lot during training and then in their job. Dealing with these low life criminals, hardens them a lot. And they can only cope, if they keep their official and personal lives apart to some extent. And you need to trust him that whatever he was doing, he was doing it for your peace of mind."