Chapter 55

Ajay reached them in two strides and sat next to Shyam. He gently laid his arm around him. Shyam wiped his tears, but fresh tears kept rolling along his cheeks.

"What the hell Shyam? You don't lose your courage like this ever. I am telling you. Deepa Aunty will be absolutely fine. They have such highly developed treatments now, and I know many people get cured and have long life. Please don't breakdown like this yaar! I can't bear to see you like this. And imagine what Aunty and Uncle must be going through now. With your brother Vijay away too. You need to be brave for them. I know it is tough, but I and Ammu... we are always there for you." Ajay tried to infuse courage into his best friend.

With deep gulps, Shyam controlled himself after sometime

With deep gulps, Shyam controlled himself after sometime. Amrita brought him a glass of water. Feeling slightly better, Shyam thanked them both and went to meet his parents.

Ajay looked concernedly at Amrita. She still looked quite shaken.

He spread his arms, and she ran to him and buried her head in his chest. He kept kissing her on the forehead and hair till she calmed down. He knew there's nothing he needed to say to her right now, all she needed was to be hugged.

After some time, he gently lifted her head and wiped her tears.

"Feeling better now?" He asked her softly.

She nodded her head, gulping.

"I think I am a bad omen Ajay, first I lose my Maa, then I got close to your mum and she left us too and now this. Whenever I try to see my Maa in anyone, I lose them. I shouldn't get attached to anyone at all. If I do, something will happen to them." She started crying again.

" She started crying again

"Shush... what the hell are you talking about Ammu? How can you be so stupid? You are not bad whatever... how do these thoughts even get inside that brilliant brain of yours?? Seriously!!" He pulled her face up with both hands and forced her to look straight into his eyes.

"Don't you dare to put everything on you and feel guilty about this. What kind of unlucky person am I then, who lost both his parents at such young age? According to your logic, then I too must be a bad omen right?"