Chapter 7: Monster

"Anyways, I think it's about the mechanics." Dr. Banner said, returning to the matter at hand. "Iridium. What do they need the iridium for?" 

"It's a stabilizing agent. I'm just saying, pick a weekend. I'll fly you to Portland. It means the portal won't collapse on itself like it did at S.H.I.E.L.D." Stark explained.

"No hard feelings, point break. You've got a mean swing." Stark said before lightly slapping Thor's arm. He then moved past Agent Hill and towards the screens.

"Also, it means the portal can open as wide and stay open as long, as Loki wants. Raise the mizzenmast, jib the topsails. That man is playing Galaga." Stark pointed out, earning the attention of the crew. "He thought we wouldn't notice, but we did."

I furrowed my brows. "Galaga? What's that?"

Stark nearly had a heart attack at my words. His eyes widened. "After this is all done, I'm teaching you all about Earth."

"Oh no..." I heard Steve mutter under his breath.

How exciting! My eyes lit up. "Including Galaga?"

"Including Galaga." Stark confirmed before turning around the screens. "How does Fury even see these?"

"He turns." Agent Hill replied.

"Sounds exhausting. The rest of the raw materials, Agent Barton can get his hands on pretty easily. The only major component he still needs is a power source of high energy density. Something to kick-start the cube." Stark informed us as he turned back around to face us.

"When did you become an expert in thermonuclear astrophysics?" Agent Hill asked with her arms crossed.

"Last night. The packet, Selvig's notes, the extraction theory papers. Am I the only one who did the reading?" Stark asked as he walked towards us.

"Does Loki need any particular kind of power source?" Steve inquired.

"He would have to heat the cube to 120 million Kelvin just to break through the Coulomb barrier." Dr. Banner explained.

"Unless Selvig has figured out how to stabilize the quantum tunnelling effect." Stark pointed out.

"Well, if he could do that, then he could-" Dr. Banner began.

And I cut him off, understanding their science here. "Achieve heavy ion fusion at any reactor on the planet."

"Finally, two people who speak English!" Stark exclaimed.

"Is that what just happened?" Steve questioned.

As Stark spoke to Dr. Banner, Agent Hill spoke to me. "How do you know what they're talking about, Storm?"

"Your science here on Earth isn't that complicated like it is in other planets I've been to." I shrugged.

"She's being modest." Kina commented. "She was born and raised on Corellia. Before she was trained to be a Jedi, Storm grew up learning the technology of the galaxy and she even became a pilot."

"Interesting." Agent Hill replied with an impressed look.

Fury's voice then ended our conversation. "Dr. Banner is only here to track the Cube. I was hoping you might join him."

"I would start with that stick of his. It may be magical, but it works an awful lot like a HYDRA weapon." Steve advised.

"Hydra?" I repeated.

"It's an evil organization." Romanoff replied.

"I don't know about that, but it is powered by the cube. And I would like to know how Loki used it to turn two of the sharpest men I know into his personal flying monkeys." Fury said with a concerned look.

If it can take two of his smartest men and bend their will to his doing, it must be very powerful then. There's nothing powerful like that back home.

"Monkeys? I do not understand." Thor asked.

"Nor do I." I chimed in.

"I do. I understood that reference." Steve said with enthusiasm.

Oh Force, do I have much to learn in this planet.

"Shall we play, doctor?" Stark asked Dr. Banner.

"This way, sir."

"Hey Storm?" Stark asked.

"Yes?"

"Do you want to join us?" He offered.

"Maybe later, I'm still a little tired." I lied, not feeling up to it at the moment.

With that both Stark and Dr. Banner left to go to the lab, while I returned to my room. Meanwhile Kina left to visit Gida. I would go, but I'm not feeling up to it. I glanced down at my hands to see them turning red again. I quickly rushed towards the bathroom and looked in the mirror. I placed my hand over my mouth as I gasped. My face, hands, and arms were red and covered with black markings. And my eyes had turned from silver to yellow. Tears filled my eyes. I'm a monster... I do have Dathomirian Zabrak and Sith blood running through my veins.

••••
Days went by and Gida was better. I spent less and less time with others, keeping myself alone more and more. One day there was a knock on my door.

"Enter."

The door opened to reveal Tarom. I was surprised to see him. He wore a frustrated look.

"Kina, Gida, and even I've tried to get some information...at least something out of Loki. But he won't budge." Tarom huffed. "Fury told me to tell you to give it a try."

I shook my head. "I don't think I'm up for it."

"Please Storm, help us. We're all trying." Tarom insisted. "Help us, Storm."

I sighed. "Oh alright, I'll give it a try."

Tarom wore a wide smile at my words. "Thank you, Storm! Hopefully you can get something out of him."

"We'll see." I mumbled.

Tarom then showed me to the room where Loki's cage was. We entered to find Loki sitting inside the cage. He stared at me as Tarom spoke in a hushed voice. "Be careful, Storm. If you need us we'll be in the main room."

"Thanks Tarom." I replied.

With that he gave me one last smile before closing the door behind him, leaving me alone with the enemy.