Chapter 22: Conversations In The U-Wing

Jinx wore a hesitant look. "When she asked why I turned to the dark side, I...I told her it was because of her..."

Dad was just as baffled as I was. Jinx kept her gaze towards the ground as we remained in silent. Chirrut was the one to finally break that silence. "I sense a lot of pain coming from her."

"Pain?" I repeated. "Pain from what?"

Jinx released a sigh before speaking. "I suppose I should tell you...besides I don't think you ever noticed."

"Noticed what?" I asked, still confused.

"I wanted to prove that I was better than you in something. To mom, dad, and everyone you were the prodigy child, the one who excelled in anything and everything you did." Jinx confessed. "Alotren is as smart as you, and Maya...she became a great Jedi, like you. Even though I'm the oldest...it didn't feel like it. It felt like you were the oldest as they favored you more than me, even our grandparents favored you...I felt like I was living in your shadow, Storm."

"Jinx, we loved you all dearly." Dad began with a sympathetic look. "I'm sorry if at any moment you felt that way. That was not your mother's or my intention to make you feel that way."

"Storm showed many talents at such a young age...I guess we payed a little more attention to her as she was advanced for her age." Dad explained. "Please forgive us, Jinx. You are worth so much, all of my children have such potential and talent. I never wanted you to go down that path...I more than anyone know what it's like to go down the path of the dark dide, and it's a terrible path that I don't wish on anyone."

Jinx was on the brink of tears. "I forgive you...I just wished I didn't screw up...I was tricked by Palpatine...he said if I became a Sith then he would make me the most powerful person in the galaxy."

"It was around the time when Anakin also turned to the dark side." Jinx continued. "I went down the wrong path...and I know that kriffing well now. It was a huge mistake, but all I wanted was to show mom and dad that I'm good too. And that I'm not completely useless. And I'm sorry for telling you all our family secrets, Storm...I just wanted you to feel what I felt like just once."

I looked at her now in a completely different way. My parents didn't mean to push her aside, making her feel as if she was living her entire life in my shadows while me, my parents, and my other siblings had no idea that she was feeling this. I felt awful...I hope Alotren and Maya don't feel like this. Then it just dawned on me that this must be how Loki felt with his family. He wanted redemption...to show he could do things just like his brother, Thor can. I placed a hand on her shoulder. "It's alright, Jinx. I forgive you. We didn't know, and I'm sorry you had to go through that." 

"I know what's it like to feel alone...like no one understands. I couldn't control my anger, so I did things which weren't of the Jedi way. However I told Anakin, believing only he understood me." I confessed, surprising everyone. "I knew you had trouble, but I never imagined it was anything like you told me...Sorry Jinx, I was too busy dealing with my own missions and struggling with my own emotions that I didn't even realize how you felt." 

"And that wasn't the only time I felt your pain. While I was on Earth after what you told me when we were on Ilum..." I continued. "I felt like a monster, and it wasn't until I met a man who comes from a planet called Asgard. He was the only one who understood me, and helped me when no one else did."

"This man...sounds like you care for him." Jyn commented.

"Or even love him." Jinx added with a teasing smile.

"Glad to see you smiling again, sis." I said, changing the subject.

"I accept your apologies, but you are so not changing the subject this time." Jinx informed me. "You never gave love a chance, sissy. Can it be that you finally found it?"

I let out a nervous chuckle. "I mean Loki and I have become good friends."

"Oh is that his name?" Dad asked, crossing his arms as he wore a stern look. "And what does he do for a living on this planet called Asgard?"

"He's a prince." I replied.

At my words, everyone turned to look at me with their jaws dropped. I merely shrugged. "What? I don't see what the big deal is?"

"He's a prince." Jyn repeated.

"Yeah, so?" I asked.

"So? Do you have any idea what that means?" Jinx questioned rather baffled, especially after I merely shrugged. "It means that he'll have to an Asgardian noblewoman."

My stomach churned at the idea of Loki marrying an Asgardian noblewoman. I mentally shook my head. What am I saying? Loki doesn't even see me that way. He probably only viewed me as a friend. I shrugged. "Then so be it."

Jinx's jaw dropped. "Are you serious? You won't do a thing to intervene?"

"What will I gain from that, Jinx? I don't even know if he sees me that way." I confessed. "I bet he only sees me as a friend. Besides I have more important things to worry about right now like this war, and getting Maya back."
•••
Once we reached the base, Cassian dropped dad, Jinx, and me off before leaving with the others to Eadu. When Alotren and mom saw my dad, their jaws dropped. Just like me, they couldn't believe he was actually alive. Dad's face lit upon seeing them. "Alotren, Veda."

Tears streamed down my mom's cheeks as she ran over to my dad, wrapping her arms around him. In between sobs, mom spoke. "I can't believe you're alive!"

"I'm so sorry." Dad apologized as soon as they pulled away from the hug. "I just didn't want to return until I had Alotren, our son with me."

"It's alright. What matters is that you're here and alive." Mom replied.

She then leaned forth, giving him a kiss. I was happy to see them back to together...but my heart hurt as I remembered Loki...Does he even know how I feel about him? I highly doubt it. After Alotren gave dad a hug, he spoke up about the mission.

"I spoke to the Council and I was able to convince them to allow us to go through with the mission I have planned." Alotren explained. "Jinx, Storm, and me are going to Coruscant to get back our sister."

My smile then widened. You hear that, Maya? We're coming to get you back.