Chapter 29: The War's Far From Over

After a few days I was out of the medical room. I was in the cafeteria when I saw Cassian, Jyn, Chirrut, Baze, and Bodhi. I was relieved upon hearing that they were alright. They gave me hugs upon seeing me alive and well. Once we sat down, Jyn spoke up. "Glad to see you in one piece."

I chuckled. "Thanks. I'm glad to see you all as well. Apparently I've been out for two weeks."

Cassian nodded. "You were. We all got worried. Some thought you weren't going to make it."

"Those people were foolish. They don't know you like we do, little sister. We know that you're a fighter." Baze commented. "Just like Jinx."

"Yes. She's very strong as well." I agreed.

"She puts herself down more than others do." Chirrut chimed in.

"She doesn't believe she could ever be as good as me, but that's a lie. She's already proven herself in different ways." I explained.

"Indeed she has. Jinx saved Baze and me. If it weren't for her we wouldn't be here." Chirrut confessed. 

"I wouldn't expect anything less of her. She's strong and good, but she doesn't realize it. Jinx questioned herself, just like I did when I discovered my true self..." I trailed off.

I knew how she felt. I received a glimpse of it when I believed I was a monster. Bodhi was the first to notice the change in my behavior, so he quickly changed the subject.  "So I heard you're the new Commander of Alliance Special Forces. Is it true?"

"Yes, it's true. You're looking at the new Commander of SpecForce." I replied with a proud smile.

Their faces all lit up upon hearing my news. They all congratulated me, happy that I got the position. At that moment Alotren appeared behind us with a smile. "Cassian. Storm and I have a surprise for you."

I immediately smiled at his words. Oh, now I know what he's talking about. We spent nights working on this, hoping it would make Cassian happy.

"A surprise?" Cassian repeated rather shocked. "For me? Was is it?"

I stood up and walked towards the entrance of the cafeteria. "K, you can come in."

At that moment, K-2SO walked in and together we walked towards Cassian who looked at K-2SO in awe. "K?"

"It's good to see you again, Cassian." K-2SO greeted before looking around and seeing the others. "And it's nice seeing the rest of you as well...You too Jyn."

"And to think I missed you." Jyn retorted.

"But how?" Cassian questioned.

"It wasn't easy, but we managed to retrieve K-2SO before Scarif blew up. Then I began to work on K, trying to fix him. However I only got so far." Alotren explained. "So once Storm was out of the medical room I asked her to help me. She's always been good at mechanics and with technology."

I shrugged. "I try."

"You're too modest." Alotren replied.

"Very modest. Storm worked day and night to make sure I would be the same as before." K-2SO chimed in.

Cassian was taken back. "Really?! You did that?"